Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Troubled_One
Senior Contributor

Living with chronic knee injury how to cope?

Hi everyone in this forum.

I have posted in other forums and thought my next step would be in this forum.

I have had a chronic knee injury when I was 21 and it cripples my day to day life. It was a car accident and my knee hit the dash and smashed the cartilage. The pain is not present at rest but any movement involving walking, running where I need to use my knee the pain arises. Walking is ok and some running but generally if I need to work my legs my knee is crippled.

This puts a added strain on my day to day life along with the other problems I have which I have listed in other forums.

http://saneforums.org/t5/Our-experience-stories/Living-with-depression-and-anxiety/m-p/17866#M2415

http://saneforums.org/t5/Something-s-not-right/Being-misstreated/m-p/18044#M1117

It is ok because I can relate it back to the same emotion and control that my parents had over me as a child, they never allowed any of this and you could say I was cripple even without the knee. Now I am older I realise the same power and control they exerted over me as a child is relevant to the knee. Its like no matter what between them they wanted my life to end up like this.

I struggle day to day with this and try and forget about it but I am sure it takes out of my wellbeing.

Anyway thought I would mention this.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Living with chronic knee injury how to cope?

Hi @Troubled_One 

Emotional and physical pain are just as challenging as each other. In your case, it sounds like in both instances, the suffering at the hands of your parents, and the pain in your knee contributes to immense challenges in your life. But you have pulled through. I've read in other posts that you have  worked through D&A issues, and you're currently working on the relationship with your parents. This shows me that you have skills to move through pain and hardship. This takes strength and lot of courage.

Re: Living with chronic knee injury how to cope?

Thank you cherrybomb. Yes after my first peer support group yesterday I was able to realise that I need to become more comfortable in myself and with my family and other people. It taught me to try and face the problem with the possibility of a better outcome. I am hoping my family can pull together and overcome some of these problems.Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance