Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

oceangirl
Senior Contributor

I am at crossroads and I don't know what to do or who to turn to

I am at crossroads and I don't know what to do or who to turn to.And I find it so hard to trust and to open up to anyone. For the most part I feel terrible and struggle to function day to day.. Do others have similar experenices and or concerns?

27 REPLIES 27

Re: I am at crossroads and I don't know what to do or who to turn to

hey OG @oceangirl
what do you think has made you realise this recently?

Just a series of events that made you question it? or was it an individual event that took place and pushed you into this realisation?

Tbh your post couldn't have come at a better time because I am feeling this right now as I type away

It could be circumstantial thought I don't know. I am about to head off to a walk meetup but I dunno if i will last because I find it hard to motivate myself and i guess at some level I am also opening up too

Trust is an interesting thing isn't it? we want to be able to open up, but we also need it to be met with trust. I think opening up and trust go hand in hand, but they aren't always going to happen are they?

I have more questions that answers at this stage my friend and maybe that's just how it is

Why do you think you struggle to function day by day? what do you mean by this? as in going about your daily tasks?

yes i feel very much the same @oceangirl
feel like alot is always happening but have no idea where i can turn to or what im suppose to do so i can relate to you

I really struggle to function day to day as well.  I'm sort of on autopilot, as that's the only way I can get anything done, going through the motions.  I can only really handle one thing at a time, so I just think, what needs to be done right now, in this moment?  And I get it done.  Everything is so hard though.  Testing my blood glucose levels for my gestational diabetes, eating, getting dressed, going to work, going for walks, showering, cooking dinner.  Rinse and repeat.  I just want to stay in bed and hide from the world.  I don't feel safe.  I feel exposed and vulnerable.

@oceangirlOh yes, that's a very familiar predicament for me. Smiley Sad Too many bad experiances in the past attempting to reach out to others. Too many times being exploited by people I hoped were going to help me - worst among them being therapists who I assumed were legally bound to help me to the best of their abilities.

A hundred times bitten, two hundred times shy. That's my situation.

And, as you say, without the help, it's impossible to overcome the problems and thus impossible to function. So what can we do?

Hey @oceangirl your definetly not alone with those types of feelings please hang in there as best you can ,many on the forums can empathise with this for sure,as for personal experience even when being on Medication for depression there are some days that are hard to function than other days,rest as much as you need,connesct with others when you need ,just do everything you can to take care of your personal needs as a valueable person,reach out for support,talk things out with us on the forums,maybe journaling could help with the feeling of being at a crossroads especially if theres important life decisons to be made,it sounds like you feel at a loss for what to do about your situation just please know your not alone stay safe and do the things that you need /self care maybe ,sending hugs your way HeartHeartHeart

ohh my sister @oceangirl HeartHeart

what is wrong , sitting with you xoxo

Hi there @Daisysmum, Welcome to the SANE forums. I'm one of the moderators. Thanks for sharing with the community here. I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling disconnected and struggling with daily activities. Your 'right now' method is something I use a lot too when I'm struggling. Do you have any professional supports at the moment?

If you feel like speaking to a counsellor, PANDA is a national perinatal helpline (1300 726 306). You are also welcome to contact our Help Centre on 1800 187 263 (Mon-Fri, 10am-10pm).

See you around,

Sphinxly

@Shaz51 @LostAngel @chibam @Daisysmum @MDT 

Thank you for your messages

And hopefully we can create a space here and we can be vulnerable - and share what is affecting us. And we can support each other through this. You're not weak because you have a MI - in fact everyone as a mental component to their health. I do have strategies, I use, but sometimes its hard to even use them. I focus on one thing at a time too. I did thing about creating a list of things that I could do- that would help make me feel more at ease and in control- What are some things that bring you comfort?

Its difficult when you have a MI, and subsequently from accessing health care- you may experienced something negative, and also from people in your life. Just remmeber that is about them and not you. I understand and can relate to this. That why I wanted to create a space here- a place to come and also a soft place for you to fall and to feel supported. 

A hundred times bitten, two hundred times shy. That's my situation.

And, as you say, without the help, it's impossible to overcome the problems and thus impossible to function. So what can we do?  @Shaz51 @LostAngel @chibam @Daisysmum @MDT 

You have summarised that very well. And asked a really good question. Its hard to know what to do for the best and who to turn to. We do have each other here. And in numbers we are powerful and we can pave the way for others accessing mental health. But also we can run things past each other and be here for each other when we are experiencing tough days and celebrate our achievements. And also share things that might help us function better and improve our quality of life. My hope is for a brighter future and creating memories. Lets focus on improving each others lives and creating a life that we are proud of- we all deserve this. Lots of love always OG

Lists are under rated @oceangirl
You always speak with purpose my friend. I always enjoy hearing your input.

I am hoping you find some answers soon as well.

One thing i love about forums here is that i always feel validated with what i say. I feel accepted for who i am and what expeirience i have. This gives me comfort.

I also came across a word i like - hearth

Its pronounced like heart, but it has a very diffferent meaning. Its to do with a furnance. The part of the house that is part of the firplace. But it can also be used to descibe a centrepiece of a fireplace.

I read too that it is a longing for safety and comfort and home. A place or theme where it invokes a sense of warmth and safety like fire always provided us since ancient times.

What gives us hearth i wonder

Good night my friend. Off to new work tomorrow.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance