Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Helpful tips for Financial stress and hardship

I remember in early 70s as a kid , there were no supermarkets, and fruit and veg in shops was only what was in season. 
sounds dumb.. but if its too dear, dont buy it... 

also we butchered our own meat and ate cuts that pets used to turn noses up at years later. 
or go vegetarian.. 

Pulses like lentils and beans cheap esp if dried and soak 

sprouts are very healthy and can grow them in moisture in bathroom lol 

if you don't need to be up to date on events can get free newspapers from newsagents, saves them throwing them out.

bread is cheap 

so is junk food unfortunately lol 

can always get on food delivery list from Vinnies? 
oh, um old recipes from The Great Depression like mock chicken lol 

Great ideas @TAB 

Yes even make a pot of soups , freeze them for backup meals 

I agree @TAB , I buy fruit and veg in season or marked down. Woolies sell bags of misshapen and blemished fruit and veg that are still fine to eat. And dried pulses make good meals or bulk out soups and stews. 

I make a shopping list so rarely impulse buy, but if I see a staple on special I'll buy extra. 

I need to start dealing with high gas bills by not sitting up with the heater on.

Ask Izzy is a really handy website that shows local services, including financial support, in your area. If you have a food pantry in your area that can be a significant way to save money on groceries.

Speak of food, major supermarkets typically mark down fresh food around a similar time towards the end of each day, otherwise they'd be thrown out. If you can figure out/ask when this time typically is at your local supermarket, you could get food that's still quite fresh more affordably. 

It's also important to still remain connected to community and have nice things, so see what free community events you might be interested in in your local area! You can search websites like Eventbrite or facebook to show you what's free (or otherwise affordable) in your area 😊

Op shops and community groups can also be helpful - maybe there's a facebook group in your local area? There are a few where I live where people give away for free, or otherwise trade, things like food, furniture, appliances, decor etc. It's also great environmentally to save things from going to landfill. If there's not yet something like this in your area, maybe you could create one!

Thank you @Dimity , @Former-Member 

Great links @Former-Member 

meals on wheels is really great , great value and fairly large for 2 meals

All good ideas @Dimity 😺

Hey @Shaz51 , 

Which pages of the 8 Dimensions of Wellness did you want to copy over? I can see if I can help you do it 🙂

My computer keeps cutting out on me so I am doing everything on my mobile phone and can not copy @tyme 

Page 14 is the start of financial Wellness in the 8 Dimensions of Wellness 

Check on the pictures on pages 14, 15, 16 if they are OK to copy onto here 

Related but quite different to our occupational wellness is our next topic of financial wellness.

Financial well-being isn't just about people's financial situation. It about having enough money to meet expenses, but also about having spare cash to make choices, feeling in control of your financial situation, and whether or not you worry about money. I will use the following graphic as the basis of my discussion today.

tyme_1-1662627184155.jpeg

Financial resilience is the "root system" of financial wellness and it is what enables us to grow our financial wellness.

Financial capability is the combination of attitude, knowledge, skills, and self-efficacy needed to make and exercise money management decisions that best fit the circumstances of ones life, within an enabling environment that includes, but is not limited to, access to appropriate financial services. Put in simple terms it means not only what you know but to also have the willingness, confidence and opportunity to act.

What do you think with the heading financial wellness. means to you 

I will find some new images @tyme 😀👍 tomorrow 

Thank you @tyme , you are awesome xx 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance