Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Growing your Zen Garden

@MoonGal l admire people with the discipline to stick to a colour scheme. I am a total colour hussy and we have pink, orange, green and red flowering natives in the native garden too. I seem to have trouble bringing yellow in, but that's about it! Oh, wait some self sown and decidedly not native yellow nasturtiams are in there too.

Hmmm my favourite vegie to grow would be Brussels Sprouts, they are so funky, and home grown tastes so good. Also snow peas!

How about you?

Still not a picture of my garden but these are freesias I picked from my driveway garden this morning.

Fressias were one of my mums favorites and they smell heavenly.

IMG_20151011_142636.jpg

Oh I LOVE a riot of colour too - I guess I mean more than anything the overall main frame of the plantings will be white and purple (for serenity) but I cannot imagine that I would never plant a border of riotous colour from time to time too! 

I have never grown any cruciferous vegetables (in fact never planted out for the late harvest at all) - I LOVE brussel sprouts. Will have to try growing and I eat alot of cauliflower,  about a half a head of cauli a week - so it is a staple for me. I will have to research the growing times and length of time to maturity so I can stagger the planting. 

Oh the freesias are gorgeous. We have a swathe of alba (white) freesias in our small front bed, but they have been and gone already. Lovely posey you have there. @chookmojo

Well! We must have wires in the universe, i took a cutting of a lovely plant from my Mum's last week to take to thegarden shop for identification so i can put it in the 'spreadsheet' of plants for the purple ad white themed garden refurbishment and guess what that cutting was... Smiley Very Happy

hardenbergia!

Do you have a white one and a purple one planted together? I iddn;t know they came in white too. I love that both are showing here @chookmojo
@chookmojo wrote:

I dont have  a picture of my yard on the tablet that I am using, but this is what hardenbergia looks like.

Hardenbergia-sp.jpg

Ok brace yourselves for a phot post inundation. I have written a HUGE post with all the pictures in one, then the internet ate it Smiley Mad so now I am going to break it up into several smaller posts. Anyone not wanting to see LOTS of pictures of my garden, now is your chance to leave........

Ok here is a before//during of our backyard which we pretty much stripped back to a blank canvas, not being fond of the general theme of spiky semi tropical plants failing to thrive in Melbourne. Yuccas everywhere and palms. Not my cup of tea at all.

You can see all the stumps in the pic and the baby hardenbergias just starting along the fence. We kept the kangaroo paw, gumtree (it later fell down in a storm ) and the grevillia, mostly so the chooks would still have somewhere to hang out. Planning to get rid of once the other stuff fills out a bit. It was very bare and kind of gross for a while so we wanted to keep SOMETHING bushy. There we lots of volcanic rocks just sort of randomly blobbed about, so we piled them all up to create a rockery area.

IMG_20131212_191125.jpg

How it looks now - we planted dwarf eucys, silver princess, abutilon, hardebergia and there is a fair bt of nasturtiam which escaped the herb garden... I'll be replacing that with pigface down the track. there is a lovely little bottlebrush just starting to flower in the back corner, and once it is big enough the grevillia will come out. We'll be putting in a lot more kangaroo paw in the front area. Oh and there is a native mint (prosthentera rotundafolia) between the trunks of the dead gumtree...

IMG_4787.JPG

IMG_4791.JPG

IMG_4792.JPG

My herb garden - this is where you see just a lot of stumps in the first photo.

I took these last week and it has actually filled out even more. Springtime is amazing!

IMG_4790.JPG

On the right hand fence you can see the last of the bulbs flowering and right against that fence I have a couple of espaliered fruit trees just starting. To the left of the shed is a little self sown fig tree that has a LOT of figs on it this year. We might even get some before the possums and cockies.

IMG_4804.JPG

The hardenbergia when it was in flower - we have a mix of purple white and pick and the overlap a bit, so yu get blocks and blends of colour.

IMG_4596.JPG

the pink hardenbergia

10.jpg

My vegie garden looking  bit tatty and bare - chook run in the background, Hello Float!

When we moved in this area had been used as a sort of private tip by the previous owners who had a concreting business, all rubble and shards of glass and rubbish and pieces of rotting timber and weeds as tall as our heads. It was vile.

I'm trying to grow passion fruit along that fence but I don't seem to have the knack with passionfurit and I am probably going to pull out the sad remains of the one I planted and try again. These fruit boxes have all been turned into self wicking beds.

IMG_4794.JPG

The transformation of a driveway. Yuccas again, of course, and Agapanthas which I hate, and those african irises that are so beloved by council landscapers.... Out it all comes. A pick axe and MANY hours of hard work yielded FIVE cubic metres of green waste from a 25 metre driveway.

IMG_20130908_175002_663.jpg

How it is now - still a bit bare, I have planted out much yet. Bulbs along the edge, some allysum at the front, blueberries next to the fence (just little twiglets at this point, but they will be pretty when they fill out). I will be doing more bulbes, some hydrangeas, ore blueberries (I'm testing varieties right now ot see what likes it there) and I am not sure what else yet... I'd like to do Hazelnuts but I think they need more sun, the centre part gets a LOT of shade from the house...

IMG_4803.JPG

At the back of the drive we have more bulbs, strawberries and raspberries - I still need to set up the wires for those. I wasn't sure they would like the location but they seem happy enough.

IMG_4799.JPG

So really now I am focussing on the vegies, driveway and moving to the front garden once we get a fence sorted out.

Oh, @chookmojo, you ahve done such a beautiful job of it all, looking awesome Smiley Happy
Thanks for sharing all the pics and your patience in stripping back to bare bones and growing everything in new. lovely. 

Wow ... thanks for showing us all that.

Woman Happy

Is gardeing something you can share with the hubster or are you at it by yourself?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance