Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Growing your Zen Garden

@Appleblossom I have done virtually all of that on my own. Hubs is happy to enjoy the garden and patiently listens to me wittering on about it, and doesn't mind me spending considerable chunks of money on it, but is not so hands on shall we say.

Since moving here I have personally shovelled out 19 cubic metres of soil, 12 cubic metres of mulch, 1 metre of pebbles which was by far the hardest! (for the wicking beds) moved those fruit boxes myself and built the wicking system, and built all of the timber framed side beds from sleepers, moved countless pieces of scrap timber, logs, scrap metal and junk, tree branches, pavers, loaded about 12 cubic metres of hard rubbish into skips, planted everything and I do all the mowing and weeding too.

Hubs did help me weed the vegie garden area when we first cleaned it up, dismantle the woodshed (truly horrible job), build the chicken coop and move the boulders.

I often say I don't care about help with things I can do myself, only when I CAN'T do it myself. He steps up when I need it but mostly I try to get stuff done on my own.

It certainly looks like a well conceived and beautifully cared for garden on a largish block.

Its funny as in the gender stakes I have heard so often that the woman does the inside and the man does the outside and all sorts of silly generalisations. We are all unique and the match between sponses is becoming more and more variable.

You must be able to share other things with him.  I dont pretend to know about good relationships.

I did most mowing during the marriage til I couldnt in the last 5 years. We both worked on filling skips when we had rubble from renos or digging up concrete etc.  Nowadays I do both outside and inside ... but am not ambitious in physical issues so just chip away at it for my therapy and an approximately decent garden. One day I might get around to taking photos.

My garden on my block is a little down at heel ... the areas in the council verges at the end of our court are much neater ... just cos its a gradual process over the 13 years I have been here ... I dont spend money on that section ... just spend a little water ... digging, weeding and sweat.

Thank you ... it certainly gives us insight into how hard working you are.

389258.jpgLove gardening but live in a flat & the other residents will not agree to the changes i would like 2 do plus have done Cert2 in Horticulture but still will not get a job even in Local Council love to work in a nursery  but not enough certificates being a school cleaner is getting boring

Working in a nursery would be great .... maybe volunteer in planty conservationist groups ...  helps make contacts ... usually dont have to be too chatty but just get into nature and learn about weeds etc .... we all have to start somewhere ... I was in the mailroom and opened envelopes all morning and stuffed them in the arvo ... but they are stepping stones ... we had some laughs too ..

I came to gardening and to singing late in life ...

Love gardening loved watching Gardening Australia on the ABC know pics are not garden related but have been going thru pics i g pics from internet1 Nice Duck.jpg1 001.JPG

Former-Member
Not applicable

-

-

Somehow I knew this forum would get better and better .. and that the people who shared on it would have all sorts of wonderful sides to their personalities.

I feel so satisfied to hear or read their posts. My deal with Him up on high ... was PLEEZ MAKE ME WANT TO STAY ON THE PLANET.  If its so wrong or cowardly to want out. Give me experiences that make me feel that being human as I am is not bad and that I can share with others. Thank you all.

I have also periodically worked in conservation.  My garden at home I also describe as making habitat. It was a dead area of builders clay with BV plonked on top. I helped the soil improve and was excited to notice the proliferation of worms and bugs as years passed.  My efforts on council land are less intense ... but "grew organically".  I am skeptical of HOME BEAUTIFUL (my baggage about distracted rellies) and dont garden for it to look good but for a host of reasons.

I like the concept of a Habitat for Humanity.  Habitat is one of my favourite words.

Heart

@Jamc Oh working in a nursery would be great. It would be so fun to be surrounded by all the little plants and giving people information and advice. I thought a couple of times about going into that line of work, before I landed my current job, and if I could drive I would have a garden market stall and sell seedlings.

chookmojo
Community Elder

@Former-Member Wow, that is awesome that you are involved with preserving the local nature reserve! We have one very close to home, I should look into how to get involved.

For me my garden has always been about trying to recreate my grandfather's farm, trying to recapture the best part of my childhood on a smaller (much smaller!) scale. I think your approach is more noble!

Former-Member
Not applicable

-

-

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance