Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Exercise and Goal Setting

Well motivation to move is having other spin offs. Today's walk and Qi Gong became a bit of maintenence gardening instead. 🙂 I am actually doing things I haven't done for a very long time!

It was enough to climb the ladder several times, weild a brushcutter for 15 minutes, rake up the clippings (bend over several times to pick up cuttings). I have decided this is as good as a walk and qi gong. Have added it to my exercise sheet and feel well satisfied and proud of myself.

@Former-Member - well done on the sets and reps. Good luck with the walk/run/.walk tommorrow. It is going to be really hot here so I aim to get up when my partner does and walk the doggits before 8am.

<sigh> here's the rub. Up early to walk doggits. Problem is already very sore from yesterday's activities. Still decided to push through. Got halfway through the walk and my back was screaming, I was just hanging on to myself. Early morning is VERY hard, yet being summer and due to be in high 30's today it had to be early morning walk.

Got home a puddly limpy crying mess. (I did manage to get inisde before having a meltdown though).

Walk distance was 1.2 km, and took 25 minutes (but the endurance level was 10).

Anyways - after settling down and resting feel okay again, but this is the kind of extra challenge I face having mutliple physical problems. I AM able to push through but I worry that I shouldn't. Smiley Sad

Back into it again today - I figured out why yesterday was so hard. I had not taken my meds before I walked, so serotonin dipping out, pain high the two combined brought me undone. Note to self (and anyone who is listening for whom it might resonate) take pain meds and brain meds 30-40 minutes before trying to walk in the morning.

I'm talking to myself Smiley Tongue

Hey @MoonGal,

I'm reading your posts here and following your progress. 🙂

I haven't posted because I have had a bit of a body and mind slump and a big mixup with sleeping patterns over the past number of days. This has meant no exercise done at all and haven't even got out of the flat. I started falling down with my exercise goals as soon as I wrote them down! Because I still haven't got my sleep routine going well, I'm not good at taking meds at strictly regular times every day but it makes sense that it might help to do that before getting out. It is tricky too trying to balance out real physical limitations that require easy handling of the body, with stronger disciplines relating to exercise goals. And I'm not very good at discipline all round I have to admit!

Anyway, I'm glad you are continuing to post your inspiring progress here even if some of us are hiding our heads due to not doing what we said we would. Smiley Tongue Keep going. I'm pretty sure there's more than just me following your progress and glad to read about it!

Former-Member
Not applicable

Well done on your efforts @MoonGal... I did read your post yesterday, but I was struggling with my mental health & couldn't respond. 

Yesterday I managed a 5km run/walk/run/walk/run + a casual apx 1km cool down walk in the morning. I did okay considering I hadn't run since a slow, slow dreadmill (treadmill) run in hospital in October (I run a lot slower on the dreadmill) & I didn't run many times in the last half of  2015. I enjoyed the feeling of running again even when my lungs were protesting somewhat. However, later that day I started comparing my achievement of just finally getting out in the sunshine & running - with the achievements of Facebook "friend's" & runners I follow on FB... Therefore, I felt a bit low. I am going to set my alarm for tomorrow morning for another "run" - hopefully!

I went to hot yoga this morning. My heart wasn't really in it today, but I'm glad I went regardless. 

I can see how taking your pain medications before exercise would make a difference, but I'm not so sure about "brain meds". In 2014 I experimented with not taking my medications before running (if I was running in the morning) to see if my speed would increase. I couldn't detect a difference either way. Psychotropic drugs do help you feel less pain from exercise & I believe some athletes will dope with antidepressants. I don't think they have an immediate pain reduction effect though.... I read about it, but I can't remember the details! 

Anyhow, well done! Keep going strong!! 

Namaste,

Anna 

Hey @Former-Member & @Mazarita - Thank you for coming back in so promptly and sorry if I seemed ungrateful, sorry you were both having struggle days, i know what that is like and I feel ashamed of myself for saying 'what about me!" I have a case of terminal uniqueness, so it is very helpful to hear others struggle too.

I think a thread here is how do we maintain our progrmames or good intentions when struggling mentally and emotionally, it is a very real barrier to success - we can have all the good plans in the world but there are many things that can derail it for a few days, a day, a week. 

I went for a 25 minute walk (1.2) kilometres this morning and it was good (struggle about halfway through but gotta keep going can;t ssit on the pavement all day waiting for rescue, eh? 

I think my dip down of serotonin plugs me into my pain, not that it lessens pain, all pain is in the brain anyway (ie, thats where it is processed) and there is probably far more links to chronic pain and nuerotransmitters than any of us know...)

I haven;t done the Qi Gong for two days, I am finding walking in the mornings is enough to 'do' at the moment and gets me out and aboit in sunshine as well. Still waiting for my bathers to arrive.. 

Awesome @Former-Member you have managed to do some of your goals even feeling off. @Mazarita hope you pick up some soon. Thnaks for the coamraderie and effort in writing back. Heart

Oh I would like to also be a part of your support/motivational team--  @MoonGal

@Former-Member, @Mazarita, @Former-Member, @CannonSalt , Hi how are you ?? I did some mowing for exercise today

Hi @Shaz51. Mowing is good exercise! After I posted my slumpy message, I got myself out for a half hour walk on the beach. Beautiful out there with the water on my feet. Made me feel a lot better. Cat Happy

That is great      , little things like that can make all the  difference   

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance