Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Appleblossom
Community Elder

Computer addictions

I know I am accessing this forum via computers, which is a great thing, but I struggle with attachment and addiction issues as anyone can see by how much I have been posting lately.

For a long time I was allergic to computers but I seem to finally have overcome that.

But seriously, my son has a computer addiction, and I could not  find anything about it on this site. My ex told the psych at the hospital in our family session over a year ago that they would be facing lots more of it. I could have thumped him as he said it but proud to say I did not.

Any comments?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Computer addictions

Hi @Appleblossom

I would agree - there isn't much about it in here, but I think it's a quickly emerging issue.

It's interesting to me that computers can connect us from people and also disconnect us from people.

I'm not sure if you have mentioned this elsewhere, but how old is your son, may I ask?

Great discussion topic!

Nik

Re: Computer addictions

Yes it is a mixed blessing. Like many things it is in the managing.

My son is 22.

When he was 12, or 13 I used to sleep with keyboard under my pillow so he could not use it.  I found out he was staying up all night when I was asleep and then got his whole sleep rhythm out of whack.  Still is an issue for us. Apparently there are other ways to disable computers but I was also trying to respect his connection with his dad and dad had given him computer etc. They bonded on access staying up and being bad boys playing games together. 

I had hoped his father would teach skills and give him mastery but instead it became dependance. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance