Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

kristin
Senior Contributor

Being real

Dear all,

I've been having to take farily long breaks from the forum because I am just finding myself quite overwhelmed. 

It started early August when I became quite manic because I had too much going on in my "real" life, and I was spending too much of myself here on the forum too. I was having that awful feeling which is the emotional equivalent to feeling like your bum's hanging out of your pants - I couldn't contain myself emotionally. It was really horrid and confronting.

Lots was going on for me then - including going to my intake counselling appointment at ECASA (which took nearly a year to do from first deciding to go), having to drive my 6yo daughter on a weekly 2 hour round trip to access the child trauma therapy I finally found for her, still going into the city weekly for my usual therapy appointment/shopping trip, and joining my local council's Health & Well-being Advisory Group as a community representative (quarterly meetings, do-able I thought). So when I realised I was manic took a big step back and forced myself to take things much more quietly for a while.

It took several weeks, but it worked. For the first time I self-managed down from a manic episode without crashing or medication. I had a lot of encouragement from my psych, who is lovely & compassionate. I was really proud of myself. 

And now here we are 3 months later and I find I'm there again. The reality is that I have had some huge stuff going on. I had a major break-through with my PTSD in realising why I started every school day dealing with hyper-arousal: it was 45 years of habit - I'd spent my first couple of years of that daily routine (when I was 5 & 6) knowing I would see one of my abusers - he worked at the school. The realisation dropped my trigger levels immediately and since then my arousal levels have stayed fairly low, so managing my C-PTSD has been (relatively) much easier.

It's just as well, because a cuple of days later I found out (from two separate sources) that one of our horrid next door neighbours (who like to bully everyone) was accused of abusing a foster child years ago. I have two young girls, a 13yo & a 6yo. You can perhaps imagine how I felt. I even considered selling my house. I ended up going and talking to the local police, and am now working through the neighbours with kids - just saying that this is what he was accused of, that I don't know for sure. What I do know is that he is more than ok with bullying a grown woman if he cam get away with it, flattening my tyres at night (when there's nothing wrong with them), pulling apart the boundary fence so it's easier for him to get through at night - so he's entirely capable of such things.

I've also had the owner of a small business I contracted some time ago trying to bully me into paying nearly twice what I'd been quoted, dragging it to the debt collectors & now to a lawyer. I've been managing to stand up to him too.

Through all of this there have been huge changes going on with the MH support services & provider in the transition to NDIS. Most of this has been really poorly communicated and I've found myself advocating on my own & others behalf about it. Because I am able to.

A couple of my close friends have also been bullied long term by DHS & CPS simply because they both have a MI. When they report the abuse (including CSA) by their children's respective fathers they are told they have an MI and they need to go to mediation. No investigation or anything. One of them had her children taken away and she had to go to court to get them back, because her child reported the father's abuse at school (& school did the right thing & reported to CPS). So I have been doing what I can to support them too, even if that's just listening and seeing/telling them what beautiful strong and loving mums they are - continuing to stand up and try to protect their kids in the face of overwhleming odds. It is frankly heart-breaking at times.

A couple of weeks ago I was reading up about domestic violence, and what stops women from leaving. I realised just how incredibly emotionally abusive my former partner was when we were together. He's much more respectful now, but I've actually asked him to find his own place and said living on the streets is not acceptable. This has been enormously confronting for me, I knew he was abusive back then - but I never realised how much I used to be under his thrall.

Then last week my 17yo son said he was moving out to live at a mate's house (who's still at home with his mum). I have been pushing my son to be more respectful and take more responsibiltiy for contributing to the household, including financially, as he is doing an apprenticeship. When he complained about how much board I wanted I suggested he look at how much it would cost him to go and rent on the market, never mind buying food/clothing, paying for utilities etc.

I didn't want him to move out, but I'm not going to fight him about it either. I know his friend's mum and she's someone I trust to look after him. I've realised maybe it's for the best. He and I had a really good talk last week about it all. But to be honest I am quite upset about it. Maybe it's because he's my first-born, or because he's still quite young - I don't know.

Anyway that's some of my news for the last couple of months, and I am needing to work very hard at staying on an even keel at the moment. Someitmes I find myself getting quite manic, and at others I am wobbling the other way towards depression.

Regards, Kristin

95 REPLIES 95
NikNik
Senior Contributor

Re: Being real

As always, you're truly inspiring (as I've mentioned before).

While you're not feeling your best, you're still off around the forums supporting everyone, and making people feel welcome.

I know I probably don't need to say it, but be mindful of 'compassion fatigue' (yes.. for those who have never heard that term before, it's a real thing!). It's something that us Community Managers and Moderators have to be aware of within ourselves too. Probably a reminder for us all 🙂

We're lucky to have you here in the Forums, though I wish it was under better circumstances.

Keep on, keepin' on

Thanks @NikNik 

I do appreicate it. I am aware of it. It's why i'm being very honest about flat as a pancake, and not doing much of anything this weekend. Another quiet day tomorrow with my 6yo at home for the day with a cold.

Cheers,

Kristin

Oh @kristin that is all so massive!
Firstly though omg! Cheerleaders! Fireworks!
You self managed yourself down from mania.
There in black and white!
That is no small achievement and I am tearing up with pride for you right now. I don't know you IRL but you are great to know through the forum, and I can sense your kindness, intelligence, wisdom and compassion in your comments.
Re. Eldest leaving well yes. One of your kids has left home. This is one of those transition moments, like first steps, leaving primary school, getting married etc. it's a big deal emotionally, and dare I say it especially so for the first born.

You are clearly a very empathetic person anyway, and so would be doing some kind of advocacy regardless of your life experiences. It is just sooo much harder to manage when our energy levels are so unstable.

Keep on being really Kristin

Hi Kristin,

Thanks for your post.  I'm impressed that you can deal with all that.

I've been on walkabout, just withdrawing for my own sake.  Thank heaven I don't have too many responsibilities.

Its a long story that can be summarised as 'sh*t happened.  Hit the fan.  I got through.'

Keep your raincoat on and an umbrella handy.  And just keep on being really Kristin, in all your glory.

Thx @NikNik 

I'm actually not supporting "everyone", I do ocassionally say something - where I feel I might have something to offer which is perhaps needed for a slightly different perspective or because I notice someone seems to particularly need more support. People like @Alessandra1992 & @Loopy are much more frequent & active than I am at supporting "everyone".

Kind regards,

Kristin

Hey @kristin..now I am going to get firm with you and say "when someone says something nice about you, say thank you! Yes it is a challenge but a worthwhile one as you often downplay your wisdom and the value of your work.. Please accept people want you to know how freaking fabulous you are!!

No more deflecting to other members.. You did thus yourself and what an outstanding achievement! Onya!!

I agree with @uggbootdiva..its a big transition when eldest leaves home..and if you should congratulate yourself that you are supporting a young man into adulthood.

So glad that time to reflect has also allowed you to see things as they were, that only happens with time.

Anyway, again you so totally rock!! A qoute from Finding Nemo
kato
Senior Contributor

Hi @kristin
You are truly amazing working your way through so much.
honestly you have been able to go through that and also be able to have such compassion and ideas and thoughts for others including myself on this forum.
your well being means more to us and if you need a break from here or if you need to post on here we are all here for you as you are for us.
I understand how confronting the past few months have been for you and you should feel very proud of yourself knowing what you have managed to do for yourself.....
I certainly appreciate all the input you have put into my posts.
You seem to have realized when you are getting strained/overwhelmed which is really good insight to have,
thank you for your very open and honest post about what you have been going through.... you are not alone and You're in my thoughts prayers

Hi @kato @Alessandra1992 @BatGuano @Uggbootdiva 

Thank you all SO much. I really appreciate your support. And Sandy I will consider myself suitably chastened Woman Embarassed ! A humbled thanks again @NikNik for your kind words  Woman Happy

Yes I have managed a lot. I guess the near crash bit has been realising that I was managing, but it has taken a huge toll on me. I was feeling quite emotionally numb at the end of last week. Like depression nearly crept up and grabbed me by the ankles because I've been too busy dog-paddling & keeping my head above water to notice it nipping at my heels.

So I have just had 4 straight jammie days recovering (partially enabled by my 6yo having a cold). It is not unusual for me to 1 or even 2 ocassionally jammie days in a week, but I think 4 is probably a post-2009 record. 

Anyway Wed I see my psych and I can download to her too, then I catch up with my BF for about an hour (we meet half way when I'm down on the outskirts of Melb as she's an inner city girl). They are both amazing listeners so that will help.

Thnaks again all!

Kind regards,

Kristin

PS BG sorry to hear about the sh*t flying, too much of that these days! Hope it clears up soon for all our sakes. 

Jammie days..I dream of having one over the Dec/Jan break...highly under rated, nothing beats a day doing nothing in particular when we've become over busy and over stretched ourselves...mooching around and resting has its place.. Maybe we should compare our mental health to countries with siestas...
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance