Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

NikNik
Senior Contributor

What would you say to your unwell self?

'And if I were to go back and talk to my younger self in the depths of her depression? I would tell her she’s loved and to breathe through it, it’s just a moment.'

These are the wise words of SANE Speaker Danielle. 

When our illness takes hold, often the stories we tell ourselves can make things worse. It may cause us to isolate ourselves from others because we think that's what best, it may cause us to delay seeking help, because we won't think we deserve it.

Of course when we're well, we often see how ridiculous the stories we tell ourselves are - and they are just stories, not facts.

So what do you want to say to your unwell self?

Watch Danielle's inspiring story below or read the transcript here

3 REPLIES 3

Re: What would you say to your unwell self?

Hi @NikNik

I saw this story just before and I had tears while listening to it.  The tears came when she was 'talking to her inner child'.  That hit me.

I think I would say to my unwell self: "Dear inner child, at the moment you are not well, but you are important; you are loved and you are strong.  You will get through your tough journey.  You have such love for your children and you are an inspiration to others.  One day at a time."

I would not say a word I would just hug myself.

@NikNik. That this moment is temporary. You will move past this and learn to love yourself. You are worthy
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance