Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Mental Health Week Challenge: Every day mindfulness

Hello everyone!

From Sunday 9 Oct - Saturday 15 Oct, Mental Health Week is taking place all over Australia.

@CherryBomb & I were thinking about a challenge we could set ourselves for the week - something small that could improve our wellbeing, which we could fit into our day.

We were reflecting on the great sessions we did recently on Everyday Mindfulness and thought we should put that into practice!

We were hoping you all were up for the challenge too!

So each day we are going to pop in and share how we're going integrating mindfulness into our daily routine & we'd love to hear how you go as well.

Over the weekend it would be great if you started by posting your goals for the week. That way at the end we can look back and see if we each reached our goals and if we didn't what we could change.

So my goal for the week will be:

1) Enjoy my morning tea. I typically run around like a headless chook in the morning and sip my tea between drying my hair, ironing my clothes. So my challenge will be to have a cup of tea each morning without doing anything else at the same time.

2) Body scan. It takes me a while to wind down when I go to bed at night, so I'm going to incorporate a body scan in my night time routine. I'm not good an keeping concentration, so I might use the Smiling Mind app 

If you're looking for inspiration on what you can do, here is some inspiration:

What mindfulness app is right for you: A great blog rating four of the most common mindfulness apps

What is minfulness?

Practical activities: Have a look through our Mindfulness session to find great ideas for activities.

So - who's in & what's your goals?

I will provide my first update Monday 🙂

53 REPLIES 53

Re: Mental Health Week Challenge: Every day mindfulness

@NikNik I hear ya on running around the house like a headless chook in the morning. Its so easy to go on automatic pilot. I've gotten into a habbit of using the bathroom as thinking space. It's a bit of habbit I developed during stressful periods where I'd use having a bath as a 'break' but then just end up thinking about work and planning my day/week/month/life. I also do the same thing when I have my morning cup of coffee, but then up on social media or checking work emails. 

So here's my plan:

*Mindful bathroom: I'm going to use my time in the shower/bath and observe only what is happening then and there. I really enjoy a good hot shower or bath, but am sadly never that present to enjoy it, so this week that what I'm going to aim to do, observe and enjoy. 

* Coffee breaks: I am going to use my coffee breaks as a time to have a break from any screens and just observe the both the process of making the coffee, from the moment the kettle starts, to the last sip. If it's nice weather, maybe I'll enjoy sitting the sun while drinking my coffee. Smiley Happy I think this challenge will be more difficult then the one above as I tend to get very easily distracted by social media and email. Sometimes I feel attached to my phone. So @NikNik if you try getting in contact with me, and I don't answer, you know where I am!

So here's my plan:

@CherryBomb, @NikNik

I have brought a book that I have not even opened it up yet  -- wow , can not believe it '

So tomorrow I AM going to put a camp chair outside and read my book with a cup of coffee

I think this challenge will be more difficult than I think too @CherryBomb, but I will TRY

What do you think @Decadian, @Former-Member, @TAB, @Former-Member, @PeppiPatty, @Appleblossom, @Former-Member, @Kurra, @Former-Member, @Faith-and-Hope, @Former-Member xx

I'm going to try to give it a go @Shaz51. Too tired to set my goals right now though. I will give it some thought overnight and let you all know tomorrow after work.

That's a great challenge 🙂

I set myself the challenge to meditate every morning. I know how good it is for me and I have gotten out of the habit, so here we go 🙂

Hi @Former-Member,

I am with you... I want to get back into meditation. I am hoping to maybe meditate 3 times a week to begin with. 

A lot has been going on for me lately... some very positive changes in my life. I feel like I am evolving on a personal level. I've noticed this in many small ways. Last night I even went for a walk after dinner and looked at the sunset. Usually, I don't budge from the couch after dinner; I always have my eyes glued to the T.V. 

I have been reading that book 'A New Earth' by Eckhart Tolle and it's inspiring me.

Hi @Sahara,

I feel the same way. I am changing.

I am reading "The Power of Now" and "Self-compassion" - not like in the way where you read a book from cover to cover, but I pick one or the other up, spend some time with it and keep going back in pages. There is so much I want to learn & understand, but it's as if these books were written in a language I don't understand and every time I go over a section I discover something new.

Hi @NikNik @CherryBomb 

Good challenge!!!!

I am going to set myself a little challenge: 

Work challenge - I will take my afternoon tea break and sit for 10 mins. No more having coffee while on the run at work doing 100 things at once.

Home challenge - I will continue my mindfulness night meditation before bed.  

Okay @NikNik my Mindfulness plans for this week are:

1. Mindful Walking
2. Mindfulness of Physical Discomfort (a bit like the body scan)

I will update you as to how it goes.

Good luck everyone.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance