Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome and getting started

Barney8
New Contributor

A Full Plate

Hi, I’m a 53 woman from vic who up until late 2019 seemingly had a good life. Marriage,job,own home, 3 kids. Fast forward to today and I have lost the lot. I now rent with 88 yr old dad, can’t stick at a job and pretty self isolate all day long. I have major depression,AUD,previous history of eating disorders and just on Monday was diagnosed with BPD. Life is pretty miserable. I miss my old life so much- it wasn’t perfect but sure beats this nightmare I’m living now. I so wish my BPD was diagnosed so much long ago because it now explains all the reckless and self harm I have caused myself over the years. In a moment of pure reckless abandon chose to walk away from my marriage and lose everything thinking that my problems would go away. Instead I’m down the drain even further. I have absolutely no life at all these days and just pray life will turn around for me. But I also sit with the knowledge that maybe my life now is karma for all the crap that I put my family thru and this is my bleak future. I need to get help professionally but cannot afford it now. I get great jobs but always quit as I hate hearing about other peoples happy lives. Memories of my past life are a constant. Can’t listen to any music or watch the footy now as that was old life and it hurts so much. My coping mechanism is alcohol which I know is so detrimental. I stop for weeks on end then think life is too hard and then I’m back into the pattern of self abuse again. and the roller coaster begins again. It’s a horrendous ride to be on. 

4 REPLIES 4
Ru-bee
Peer Support Worker

Re: A Full Plate

Hi @Barney8 

Welcome to the forums

I'm glad that you've found this space to share some of your story. It certainly sounds like these past 5 years have been extremely difficult for you and must have taken a lot of strength to get through.

I hear that you feel you need some professional support, do you have any supports at the moment?

SANE offers a free guided service, as well as the support line. If you haven't checked these out you can take a look here.

Hi @Barney8 

I just wanted to pop in and say hi...and welcome to the forums! Thanks for sharing your story. Sounds like your diagnosis has been a relief to know what you are dealing with. I'm not sure if you have heard of Dialectical Behavioural Therapy...it's a therapy commonly used for people with a diagnosis of BPD (and other diagnosis). Are you doing any therapy at the moment?

Hey @Barney8 ,

Welcome to the forums!

Thank you for sharing a little about yourself. It sounds like things are quite difficult. I'm sorry things are so hard for you at the moment.

I wonder if this following service is a start so you get to understand a little more? Feel free to have a look: https://www.spectrumbpd.com.au/education-training/training-for-the-community

I also have BPD. I'm not saying it was a breeze, but having come out the other side of it, I honestly have to say that it was worth it. 

Feel free to ask any questions if you think of any. I'd love to see if I can provide some insight into it.

You can tag me by typing "@" before my username e.g. @tyme 

See you around.

Hi @Barney8 

I totally understand what it is like to loose everything and have nowhere to live. 

I am currently living with my 84 year old mother and caring for her part time, since I have a lot of appointments that I attend. 

I have had my household furniture and belongings in storage for over 5 years, so basically only have my clothes and a few personal items to call my own.

I am not sure what state you are in, but in South Australia, I was referred to what used to be called Links to Wellbeing (now called Southern Wellbeing Hub) and I have been seeing them regularly since 2022 for free. And they have suggested several workshops to attend to help me overcome some issues which were because of the DV environment I was raised in at a young age. 

I have just completed one which went into what types of domestic violence there are, and gave me things to look out for in a person, if I ever decided to trust another man again. I found it very empowering and informative. 

To be referred to the mental health service, I requested a Mental Health Plan from my doctor and it went from there. So not sure if you have done this.

But I feel for you. It is a dark place to be in, but just take one day at a time and never lose hope, that things will turn around for you. It might take years, like it has for me, and I still have bad days/weeks where I think all the effort I am putting in isn't worth it. But when I am in the right frame of mind, I can see the improvements that I have made. So I just keep on trying to do anything I can to improve my mental health, so I can finally live a happier life. 

I wish you all the best, and hope you can find some help ❤️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance