Skip to main content

Re: Welcome! Introduce yourself here ๐Ÿ™‚

@Jynx thankyou and it took a long time to get to where I am today, I spent many years angry that I hadn't died and holding onto anger and hate especially towards my mother. 

Mm I'm not surprised @Beyondcrazy I have often found my anger tends to arc up in response to injustice, and you faced so, so many injustices. Big kudos for that journey!!

I saw as well that you enjoy a lot of crafty things, soooo cool! Got anything in the works at the moment?

@Jynx, yeah I've started Crocheting a weighted blanket using pony beads.

I'm also teaching myself Tunisian Crochet making a baby blanket and I'm building my collection up of crochet and knitted stuffed animals for the local children's ward. 

I'm also teaching myself weaving art and crochet lace 

I'm also working on a novel and do a lot of penpaling

Oh wow @Beyondcrazy please do feel free to share some of your creations if you like!! I've never even heard of Tunisian crocheting haha that sounds sick!!

I am about to head off for the night but nice to chat, hopefully I will see you round the forums again all too soon ๐Ÿ˜Š

Hi everyone! So great I could find this forum.

An in-law has bipolar and has been unmedicated for a few years. She asked to stay at our house (we have two young kids) for a few nights because the property she was moving into wasnโ€™t available yet. Up until then, Iโ€™ve always had a great relationship with her, she would visit from interstate once a year.  I witnessed an angry outburst she directed towards myself, husband and our kids. It was very upsetting and unpredictable. I have not been able to stop thinking about it, it has made me very unsure of how to act around her. Does anyone have any advice? Thankyou 

Welcome @telemagenta, very happy that you've found this community!

I hear how much this event has shaken you, and it's understandable that you would feel unsure on how to move forward after this. 

Have you spoken about this at all with your in-law? Perhaps it could be an opportunity to extend some curiosity to what was going on for them in that moment and whether they might be needing some additional support, as well as setting some boundaries for the future if this does occur again. Is that a conversation you would feel comfortable having?

Thankyou, my husband spoke to her afterwards and she didnโ€™t take it very well, she turned it around on us and played the victim. I donโ€™t feel comfortable bringing it up with her either. We have seen each other a few times since the outburst and she has been pleasant with me (almost as if nothing happened). I know I am only speculating but I suspect she is gossiping about us behind our back- I know thereโ€™s nothing we can do about this but it feels unpleasant at family lunches.

Hey @telemagenta , 

Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry to read that you experienced this confrontation.

I cannot really advise what you can do as I don't know enough of the context.

For me, from my own experiences, when there is conflict, I tend to want to put it all out on the table. I feel I can't sleep straight until this is done. Yet I know this is harder for you because they don't want really want to explore it further.

Maybe at this time, it's about looking after yourself? How are you feeling about the incident now? I recognise there's been some time since the incident.

Thanks, it was 3 months ago and Iโ€™ve been trying to focus on other things in my life but keep coming back to it. As mentioned my husband spoke to her about her behaviour but she didnโ€™t take it well. The context is she suddenly got highly irritated with all of us about our pet dog and how to train it. It was certainly irrational and unpredictable behaviour. 

Can I just confirm, is she still staying with you? @telemagenta