Skip to main content

Re: Welcome! Introduce yourself here πŸ™‚

Hi all. My husband of 37 years left a year ago. He has bi polar and has become β€œ another person”. 
my grief is profound and depression has crept in. 
a friend suggested I contact a group of people wh understand

This must be very difficult. I’d love to chat. My husband had bi polar and managed very well till a year ag. Then he didn’t!!

Hello and welcome @Bella61 

Here for you ❀️ 

If you like to share a little bit of your story , only if you want too xxx

@tyme , @RiverSeal , @Former-Member 

A gentle welcome to you @Bella61 πŸŒΊ

Im PinkFlamingo, a new Peer Guide here on the SANE Forums πŸ™‚

I am very sorry to hear about what has been happening for you and your husband - it sounds deeply painful, and very tough to manage emotionally πŸ’œ

I am divorced, so I know some of the pain that comes with relationship/mental health challenges, and so if you feel comfortable, please keep in touch πŸ’œ

@Shaz51 πŸ™‚πŸ™

Welcome @Gemma21 πŸŒΊ

Its great youre here πŸ™‚

Im PinkFlamingo, a new Peer Guide here on the SANE Forums.

I thought I'd say hi πŸ‘‹ and ask how youve been going this week?

I read in your post that its harder since covid lockdown dealing with depression - Im sorry to hear that πŸ’œ

I do relate to being isolated; I have been living in isolation since 2018 when I became worse with my immunity, pretty much staying home unless essential.  

The strain on mental health to be in significant isolation and in one environment (predominantly alone at home) does pose great challenges to maintaining a balanced state of mind, for sure. 

Part of what I do each day starts with some practical self talk: usually, I start with a bit of a health check in terms of my body.. I purposefully tick that off in my mind as a good and positive thing I have going for me.

Then, even if I feel emotionally down, I try to actively find something that will remind me of things I enjoy, to try to shift my emotions. I also make a point to look out the window, watch the leaves on the trees, watch the birds pecking, watch the clouds move, and purposefully enjoy nature - to immerse my attention in it πŸ™‚

If I am feeling down, I dont really feel like eating, however I make a point to make a small healthy snack not long after waking up, and drink a couple litres of water during the day, take some deep breaths whenever I feel emotional. 

Bedtime, I wind down, turning off other screens, and just doing work on my projects, on my laptop - importantly, I turn off the blue light on the screen, and have the screen in a 'warm' mode, so it doesn't keep me awake once Im finished. 

Heading to bed, I use relaxing music on low, then I read a little of a bland story/novel, and do some slow breathing. If I wake up, I try to breathe slowly, and I picture something that may help me sleep (like a starry night sky). I sometimes use calming sounds on very low volume. 

If I didn't sleep well, I still get up and do the day, if I can, to maximise being able to sleep the next night.

I hope there is something helpful there? πŸ™‚

Even if not, please know you aren't alone πŸŒΊ

My husband left without me having a clue. We had a great marriage. But his physical and mental health means that it is easier for him to live alone. 
I am devastated. A year later I can’t function

Oh, I’m so sorry @Bella61  β€οΈβ€πŸ©Ή

What you have described sounds devastatingly painful and understandably paralysingβ€οΈβ€πŸ©Ή

I wondered if you have had any supports to help manage the impact this is having on you? 
Also, I was wondering if your husband is getting mental health support where he is now? 
Please feel free to discuss only what you are comfortable with β€οΈβ€πŸ©ΉπŸŒΊ

And please feel free to tag me using the β€˜@β€˜ symbol before my handle PinkFlamingo, this will send a notification as soon as you write a message - you can do the same for our other members πŸ™‚πŸŒΊπŸ’œ

@Shaz51 πŸ’œ

I am so sorry @Bella61 β€οΈ

Firstly with your husband,  wonder if he had stopped taking his medication and any support he had before 

My husband had stopped his medication a few times over the years which changed him and which  ended him  in hospital 

With you , it would be hard to just carry on with your life , have you got any support for yourself 

what do you like doing , hobbies,  self care in very important 

8 Dimensions of Wellness is a thread for you to look at , just click on it 

@Former-Member 

Hey @Bella61 πŸŒΊ

The discussion from @Shaz51  is very helpful in a practical way πŸ’œ

I hope it can help you to identify some areas where you have resources/strengths already πŸ™‚

And if it does highlight areas where you need support, please don’t hesitate to chat with us β€οΈβ€πŸ©ΉπŸŒΊ 

Thank you heaps @Shaz51 πŸ™‚πŸŒΊπŸ’œ

Hi @Bella61 . Welcome to the forums. 

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. Do you still stay in contact?