Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Your role in creating community for LGBTI people // 23 May

@Queenie  What I love most about community is that is completely our choice as to who we choose to be a part of our space - we can have our 'chosen families' which may - or may not - include the familes we were born into.   

For some though it can be really hard to find our communities when we aren't accepted by our families

@Sally_Morris 

What do you do if you find that you've used the 'wrong' language?

I am always really curious as to how people have ventured out into the world to find their community when they havent been able to find this through their families - and what it was like for people when they find their community.  For me it was both an equally scary and exciting moment!

It does really seem like acceptance is key in feeling like you are a part of a community, I like that you are able to choose your community but also see how that can be very challenging. @Sally_Morris @Queenie

Hi for me, I linked in with members of the LGBTIQA community through meet ups and community programs in my state. I discovered there was a large community (and I am not just meaning hook-ups here) of individuals who were willing to support me and encourage me to discover my authentic self. For many years I was living unhappily in a heterosexual marriage. However I was always more attracted to females than males. When my marriage ended, I formally 'came out'. The support I received from the LGBTIQA community was invaluable.

For me - if its language that I am not familar with or comfortable using myself - I avoid using this all together.  I also like to ask people what langage they perfer to be used - especailly if I am unsure!   And if i make a mistake (and I do!!) I try to catch myself as soon as possible, acknowledge my mistake, and correct myself.  I might do this if I use the wrong pronouns when I am talking about a person - it is really easy to make a mistake - so dont be too hard on yourself!

It is best to completely avoid words that are obviously offensive 

This is a great discussion.

Can someone explain to me what CIS means @Sally_Morris?

I have a friend, who I care about a lot. He was Jake, but now she is Jane. I don't care regardless, and I accept her no matter what. But I'm feeling like not sure what to say around her.

That is really wonderful to hear!  Not all people have this experience of finding their community when they go looking for it - there are many things that can get in the way - like living in a rural and regional area where there may be less visible LGBTI people and less spaces where LGBTI people feel safe to gather in public. 

Hello @BeHappy thank you for joining us tonight, that is a really good question. @Sally_Morris are there certain things that @BeHappy could do to make their friend Jane feel supported right now?

@BeHappy  Im glad you asked!!

Cis is a short word for Cisgender - which essentailly means that the gender that you are (ie male or female) matches what your body looks like.  So you have a female body and a female gender - or a Male body and a male gender

Cisgender is a newer term, and has emerged to be the 'opposite' of Transgender - which means that your gender is different to your body.

its jsut a word that is easier to use than describing somone as not being transgender.   So we have Transgender and the oppositie Cisgender

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance