Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advocating for change

tyme
Community Lead

Lived Experience Advisory Committee First Nations Member Recruitment

Lived Experience Advisory Committee First Nations Member Recruitment

SANE’s Lived Experience Advisory Committee (LEAC) is looking for 2x Aboriginal &/or Torres Strait Islander members, with either personal or carer lived experience of complex mental health concerns. 

Purpose of LEAC:

The LEAC ensures, that people with lived experience provide input and advice to Board and Executive. This assists SANE in its goals in relation to lived experience. 

Duties of LEAC Members:

• Each member of LEAC are responsible for: 
  • Being prepared, attending and actively engaging in meetings. 
  • Attending at least 80% of meetings via Microsoft Teams
  • LEAC Members are volunteers. They will be required to sign a Volunteer Agreement and a Non Disclosure Agreement. And, they will also be required to obtain a valid Police Check and Working with Children Check (or equivalent in your state/territory)
  • LEAC Members also receive access to SANE's Employee Assistance Program, and learning & development sessions. They will also have access to SANE's information systems for the purposes of contributing to each session.
  • We understand that for some Forum members this may be an important consideration in influencing their decision to join LEAC. SANE is committed to maintaining your anonymity within the Forums. But this process will identify you to SANE and other LEAC members.
  • Conducting themselves in a manner that is respectful to other members. which promotes confidence in the integrity of the work being undertaken. 
  • Contributing their own lived experiences to discussions and decisions. 
  • Using their experience, skills and knowledge to best represent their own diversity of lived experiences. 
  • Delivering allocated agenda items and actions in the timeframes determined. 
  • Openly expressing their views during meetings. 
  • Championing the work and achievements of SANE in the general community

If you are interested please complete the below Expression of Interest Form https://forms.office.com/r/RyyZTuzq0Rby 15th July 2024

44 REPLIES 44

Re: Lived Experience Advisory Committee First Nations Member Recruitment

Quick boost for this post - under SANE's Paid Participation Policy these roles also attract an honorarium payment for participation in the LEAC. Would love to encourage SANE Forum members to consider joining, this group is a highly valued forum for myself, my team and the SANE Board of Directors.

I would really like to do this @RachSANECEO I just don’t know if I am ready right now

that's ok - maybe it's an option for the future when you feel the time is right in your recovery journey.

The appointments are for a term (12-24 months) which means these roles will be open again in future too.

But I really want to is there things I can do to build up my skills and that before hand if I’m not ready now @RachSANECEO

this is a great question, I believe we have some resources developed in other programs. Perhaps this is also a good topic for an upcoming recovery webinar - tagging @SouthsNo1 for your brainstorm list for webinar events we could ask some of the members of the Indigenous Lived Experience Network to come and deliver a webinar on the forums about moving into advocacy roles and what that experience is like? Food for thought 🙂

Cool
What do you think? From an outside and you know the program Do you think I could do it or not ready @RachSANECEO

@RachSANECEO 

Yes thanks I had seen this. While I identify as Aboriginal and am accepted by the Aboriginal community as such, I actually don’t look Aboriginal. I think I will leave this opportunity to someone else. I was also not raised in the Aboriginal community 

@ArraDreaming 

I think you should just jump in and see how you go. I kind of expected you to do it to be honest. I understand if you don’t think you can though

no requirement for looks! veteran experience also welcome.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance