Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Healthy Minds Webcast Series // NDIS info session// LIVE NOW

Hi @Ben_BreakThru

Thankyou Smiley Happy

You're welcome @Shaz51

Some great questions coming up tonight!

We have about 30 mins to go tonight - so please don't be shy - if you have a burning question about the NDIS, @Ben_BreakThru is here to help Smiley Very Happy

Have you seen any prejudice or stigma for mental health participants of NDIS who do not have a comorbid physical disability? 

Will the NDIS provide ongoing support even through the well times? My partner was with a mental health service provider but this was provided on a short term basis due to funding restrictions. I guess what I'm asking is that people with diabetes get lifetime support and will this type of lifetime support happen for mental health with the NDIS?

Hi @mindfullyhere

No I haven't seen prejudice per se. However I have seen a lack of understanding of how the NDIS would work for mental health participants and psychosocial disability generally.

The National Disability Insurance Agency have recognised that plans weren't supportive of psychosocial disability, particularly early on, and have come some way to address this. 

They have an Independent Advisory Council specific to mental health that reports directly to the board of the Agency on a regular basis. This council has some notable members and their minutes can be found here: https://www.ndis.gov.au/about-us/governance/IAC/iac-advice-mental-health.html 

There are also some interesting articles on how they have tried to address this if you are interested: 

https://myplace.ndis.gov.au/ndisstorefront/release-mental-health-papers.html

Thanks for your question @Melstar71

I think this is where the NDIS has really struggled, with episodic conditions where there a periods of wellness. I cannot guarantee the the NDIS will fund someone if they are assessed as not having a 'permanent' condition and where this reduces your abiltiy to 'participate effectively in activities' (NDIS words) without support.

Often the planning meeting will occur during a period of 'wellness' - whcih can be difficult to then unpack support needs. 

All I can say is to try to convey your support needs duing times of ill-helath (I know this is not ideal and is based on 'defecit' not strengths based) so that the planner can understand why you might need a package.

More information can be found on the access requirements section of the NDIS website:

https://www.ndis.gov.au/people-disability/access-requirements.html 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance