Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Betty
New Contributor

Ice

Today I met my son for Sunday lunch as usual.  He has had chronic paranoid schizophrenia for over 20 years, but takes his meds, lives independently (without the benefit of case management), and mostly does OKish.  Today he was very different.  He's been on ice.  I feel really worried.  And I feel really angry.  I think today is the start of Mental Health Week.  Hmm.

4 REPLIES 4
Alessandra1992
Senior Contributor

Re: Ice

Hey Betty, I would be really worried too as ice can have nasty effects on anyone's physical or mental health.
Is it is the first time he has told you about using ice? If you are frightened of what harm it nay cause him or you, maybe request for that you are uncomfortable meeting him in that state.

Otherwise, he sounds like he is doing OK, taking him s meds, hopefully building friendships into his life..lives independently..well us mums, we tend to worry a lot..maybe it's time to think of a different perspective..he is more than his label..and he has a loving mum..and no case management..he might be doing better than you think. Upu could always chat to him about whether he attends any groups for peer support, ranging from mens shed, footy club like reclink or a voices group or a grow group..keep holding the hope but you can set some boundaries if drug affected is not a good space..ring first and red efule for another time if he us not in best space. That is just being ordinary and wanting to see him and you in a calm and friendly space..drug use can impede that..take care
Hobbit
Senior Contributor

Hi Betty,

How are you? Firstly, you must be really proud that your son has seemed to manage so well with chronic paranoid schizophrenia over these years, and without any form of case management!! But I can see why you would be worried, that if he has been using Ice, that this may undo all the good work.

I know something about Ice, and I know that some people it can really mess around with, and others not so much. Although, at the end of the day, it is really a very nasty drug.

I think you should consider contacting Family Drug Support. The link is here. There is a section on their website where they encourage you to make contact with them if you have problems with a family member and drugs.

I hope this information helps.

Hobbit.

Ann
New Contributor

Talk to his support worker/doctor as soon as possible and tell them of his current ICE addiction!! This is urgent!!
Baboo
Community Elder

I do think there is urgency in this matter aswell. Ice is popular and its so very addictive. Popular as in i hear so many people using it now its terrifying. So many negatives. BIG number one # Your son will need to "want to get off use" before there's any change. In my experience with speaking to younger people about why use is a not so good idea or career choice- is shock tactic's. This  work for every one of course- and you will know what way to best give your son advice. But i would explain the worst case scenarios and stories to shock the person out of use: its hugelyexpensive, you get stuck in a creepy circle of friends whom will know all your buisness- your pay days-where all your friends and family live. And these people will expect that they will have rights over your money and weekly choices in life. It brings on psychosis, it takes days to come down off.

Please do some of your own research too, im interested in hearing your reply

Regards

Baboo

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance