Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Elizabeth12
New Contributor

Husband with Psychosis

Hi there, 

I'm new here an hoping someone has some useful advice for me. My husband recently went through an episode of psychosis two weeks ago. I have gotten him help and have his on anti-psychotics, although I'm still waiting to see results - I've head from one doctor that I'll see results in two weeks, and from another I'll see results in two months. There are a few things I'm struggling with though. He is so adamant to get back to work, and he is very difficult to explain to that he needs healing and time to recover. I understand that it is impossible to rationalize with someone in this state right now, but he may have found a job opportunity and I'm just wondering if I should just let him go do it?

I'm worried about it because during the afternoon his behaviour changes drastically and he can get very angry if told no or that he is doing something wrong. He's been happy with strangers and new people that he meets, but will working again cause stress that triggers another episode? 

I'm really unsure what to do an how to feel in this situation because it doesn't feel right to let him go back to work right now even though he is obsessed with getting a job. 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Husband with Psychosis

Hi there,
This is a very tricky situation. He will need time to recover, although how long it will take varies from person to person. If I were you, I'd seek advice from his treating doctor/psychiatrist. It would be too risky for him to attempt to start a new job in this condition - he probably just needs to take a period of sick leave and wait for his medication to work and achieve a certain level of stability. 
Good luck x

Hi Elizabeth12,

What a tough situation you find yourself in! As a parent, partner and a nursing student, my advice would honestly be to let him go back to work, providing he continues to take his medication and possibly seek some professional (free) services if you think he's going through something that can trigger an episode. He sounds like he wants to keep busy, active and find a purpose, and allowing him to work or work on something isn't a bad thing. If he's comfortable being transparent with his condition with any employer, that would be beneficial. Honestly I believe stopping him from doing the things he enjoys would be more harmful. As a nursing student, were taught to encourage those with any health conditions to be proactive in their own care and in the community. Remember services are ready to help when and if the time comes and that includes services for you and your own mental health too! Some other advice I've learned along the way is some form of exercise or activity together with him would be super helpful too 🙂

Your husband has purpose in life. That is a good thing. It is a tough decision to know what's best for him. The choice needs to be his. He will heal if he is allowed to follow his chosen way. 

I hope this helps. 

Please keep me updated. 

Regards 

Wordman

@Jane42 Each person has different capacities to manage psychosis and work. I have known 2 people diagnosed with Schizophrenia flourish with getting back to work, and both continued working for30 years.  One was my mother ... who only worked part-time as a piano teacher, but had a significant private studio. It was her calling and saving. 

The other was my exhusband, who had varying degrees of psychosis, also diagnosed with Sz and medication.  He loved bragging how he left the psych ward for a job interview, got it, while none of the nurses thought he would. A bit depends on the job and the person.  His was computer programming, so he did not need to interact a lot with people, just had a weekly meeting and tapped away at his keyboard.  He continued working and it gave him dignity to recover from his episodes.  He had been on meds for 8 years before I met him. I tried to support him best I could.

I am not sure the experts in the hospital know as much about your spouse, as you and he do.  

An inner drive to work is probably a good thing.

Hi @Elizabeth12,

Here is a factsheet that maybe helpful...Psychosis (sane.org).

It is good you are receiving help and seeking support. Listen to the professionals they are guiding lights. Hope this helps 🙂

Hi @Elizabeth12,

It's okay, it usually takes a while for medication to take effect and for your husband's medical team to get the dosage right. If you are worried about your husband returning to work, it's only natural and his medical team/CAT team can assist you with trying to advise your husband to slow down until you're both comfortable with his returning to work. My husband also had a recent psychosis (a few months ago). It took about 3 months for him to be ready and confident to return to work part-time. It took time to get the right anti-psychotic medication. The first one he was prescribed made him very drowsy during the day and gave him slight aches and pain. His new medication's side effects are a lot more manageable and he has also reduced the dosage as he became less and less anxious with time. I do hope that your husband recovers well with your support. It is a positive thing for my husband to be back to work, so it might also boosts your husband. Part-time is a good option, as it allows for time to see psychologists and case workers regularly. Take care of yourself.

Hi @cherryblossom8 

Thank you for your supportive words to @Elizabeth12 . I also want to welcome you to the forums.

I like your username. My username actually means cherry blossom viewing in Japanese! And as you can see I have a photo of some in my profile picture.

Have a good day,

Hanami

No problems, @hanami 

I love your picture too! I was feeling spring in the air and I like the idea of growth. Also, I love Japanese culture and studied Japanese a long time ago. What is your connection to Japan?

Hi again @cherryblossom8 

My first time even thinking about Japan was when my youngest son became obsessed with anime. He was about 5 and is 26 now. Then down the track (after watching so much anime with him lol) I began to take an interest in learning the language. I made friends via a group with a Japanese woman and we became really good friends. We decided to visit in 2014. Took the four kids and my oldest daughter's b'friend and had the best time. Fell in love with the culture. 

Studied it full on when I returned, then my son ended up going over to do a couple of years study.  He got a Japanese girlfriend who he bought back for a few years until she got super homesick and returned. We ended up visiting again a few years ago and my Japanese friend came to Australia with her family. 

My son went back last year for their ski season and is going again this year. So we want to visit then to see him. Fingers crossed if airfares aren't sky high we will go! 

Hanami x

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance