Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Yasmin96
New Contributor

How do I help my mum

My mum is currently going through a very strong bout of depression and it's never been this bad before she has suicidal idiations and I'm just terrified of what she might do to herself I just want to know what ever I can possibly do to help someone who refuses to be admitted to a ward or treatment centre? apart from making my self physically ill from the raised anxiety 247 I know I have to be the best I can be for her but I'm so drained mentally and emotionally right now I'm just at a loss at this point I'm exhausted 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How do I help my mum

Hey @Yasmin96 ,

I'm so sorry to hear that your mum is not well. I can hear how stressed you are and that you don't know what to do.

Do you have any supports in place for her or you?

Has your mum ever been admitted to a hospital?

If you/she needs urgent help, it's important you call 000. She may not want to go to hospital, but if she goes and is assessed, they may be able to support her in the community. 

When I was in very dark depression, I didn't want to go to a ward either. However, I had to. And that's why I'm here today. Sometimes, it's not what we want at that time. It's what we need. I hear how much stress this has been on you.

Hi @Yasmin96 

Your situation sounds so hard for you. There is help available here... You Are Not Alone (sane.org)

we're here for you both, contact us by any means here...Contact us (sane.org)

Hi @Yasmin96 

I just read your post. I'm new here too.

I don't have any answers but I can definitely relate to the anxiety of caring for someone who is really mentally unwell and I hope you receive this big virtual hug from me. 

Take care of yourself and I hope your mum's mood lightens.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance