Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

FridgeMagnet
Contributor

First World Problems

So, I'm feeling a bit put out. I have multiple mental health conditions as well as a spinal injury with chronic pain. As a result I am supported by the NDIS. Specifically, in this case, I usually get a cleaning service every 2 weeks to do the things I can't do like change my sheets. I have changed cleaning services a couple of times because cleaning services in particular seem to charge for much more than the time they actually attend. I started with a new service today. I had asked in advance whether they could do the sheet change and they said yes. But the couple who came to actually do the job weren't part of the initial conversation and they seem put out by the request. Once they finished the cleaning service one of them started asking what was wrong with me with a real tone in their voice. I stayed calm and answered honestly including mentioning that I have a spinal injury. They then started asking me how I acquired the injury, etc. The answer is dark and awkward but I explained it anyway. That seemed to shut her down a bit but the conversation was weird and pretty awkward. I'm pretty convinced that I just got deemed unworthy of help. And on one hand - go me - my walking is good now you can't really tell that I have a spinal injury. And on the other hand I feel put out and I want to fire them on the spot but I won't because that would be awkward too. First world problem, I know.

Anyone else got a first world problem for the day?

92 REPLIES 92

Re: First World Problems

Hi @FridgeMagnet,

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. It sounds incredibly frustrating and disheartening to be treated that way, especially when you're relying on these services for essential support. Your feelings are completely valid, and it's not just a first-world problem—it's about being treated with respect and understanding. It might be worth giving feedback to the service to ensure they provide more empathetic and informed support in the future. 

On a lighter note, my first-world problem yesterday was struggling to decide what to watch on Netflix—too many choices can be overwhelming lol!

Hi @FridgeMagnet,

Thank you for sharing, and I am sorry that you've had to deal with that kind of behaviour - it must have been very distressing for you, not to mention very unprofessional and rude on their part. They don't need to know anything about you to do the work… Good on you for remaining calm in a situation like that.

I agree with @lavenderhaze, your feelings are valid and you are entitled to be treated with respect. And perhaps mentioning it to the service is a good idea, so that they can hopefully learn from this.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks @lavenderhaze and @defaultusername 

Yeah, I will likely provide feedback to the business about it. I wouldn't have minded so much if she was polite about asking.

And teehee @lavenderhaze there are so many choices on Netflix!

Thanks for sharing @FridgeMagnet ,

It sounds like the couple weren't very trauma-informed in their approach. I'm sorry to hear it may have been very uncomfortable for you.

I like that you posed the question about first world issues. Thinking about mine, it may be the following:

1) my tea is too hot to drink

2) my car is parked too far away

3) I can't choose between meatball spag or rendang curry

I guess these are not so much 'issues' but more a few grumbles lol.

Have a good day!

Thanks @tyme 

I think my first world problem for today is that my shower's water pressure is too soft.

Hi @FridgeMagnet 

Hope your weekend is going well? 

It can be really frustrating to try and engage services who aren't NDIS/patient-centred aware and who constantly leave early. It seems to happen a bit, unfortunately. 

Agreeing with the company ahead of time in writing what you need done in the house, ie via text/email can be helpful, that way if the person providing the service on the day isn't aware of the jobs, the company can be contacted and confirmed that it was previously agreed without you needing to discuss any personal details like injuries, etc unless you feel comfortable.

It might also be helpful to have a list of extra jobs for the end of the clean, ie sweep front step/outdoor light (if it wraps up early) or ask the company whether they can include things like skirting boards in their clean, if the clean is consistently finishing early?   

It's not easy, because it's a new person/ppl in your home and you're naturally trying to smooth things over, be well, be safe and manage the situation. Sorry they were clumsy with you x 

Hey @FridgeMagnet ,

My first world problem is that I feel too full from eating lunch/dinner.

Hope you are okay!

I actually like this convo lol. Makes me really consider how fortunate we are.

Hey @FridgeMagnet 

good on you @FridgeMagnet for overcoming spinal injury and being able to walk properly. That takes perseverance. I also have a well managed spine injury and on NDIS.

I have had a few problematic service providers. It can be devastating and invasive… below the belt kind of stuff. At first I was very slow to respond and got overwhelmed, tore myself apart about it for months etc. Recently there was a letter sent out about overcharging. Now I hope I am more alert but I know my personality is still a bit of a pushover. The providers are being paid to deliver the service for the right number of hours and with RESPECT.

Thanks @8ppleTree 

I decided to email my support coordinator and get her to provide them some feedback, then let them go. Last time I spoke to my NDIS support coordinator she said she had a recommendation for a cleaning service that others have thought was good. I think I will go with them. I have had a lot of luck finding some amazing support workers and I have an amazing support coordinator, it just the cleaning service that I have been having trouble finding a decent one. But I will get there.

And @tyme , my first world problem for the day is that the barista at a cafe today put crunchy sprinkles on my coffee without asking. I was unimpressed!

Thanks @Appleblossom for your kind words. It's great to hear from someone who knows what it's like to come back from a spinal injury. Yes, I"m generally non confrontational as well, so I have a tendency to put up stuff for too long....not in this situation though, lol..And yeah, I totally agree.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance