Skip to main content

Re: Our coping toolbox 🧰

Hi Everyone

I had my mum and sister over for pancakes and ice cream. It was a wonderful day.

My relationship has been a minefield. I’ve felt like I could walk from the relationship at any time. But when I hugged her both as she arrived and again when she left I felt real joy and warmth for her for the first time in a long time and gave her a good long squeeze. And it was reciprocated.

Then was the massive worry about my sister. She’s been deeply seriously depressed for quite some time (since March) and not working and that’s getting her down even more. She cried for a while about how she’s going. She told us that the serious mark that emerged on her cheek might be a melanoma but she welcome that as it would just help her pass.

Ive sine had a conversation with her whereby she assured me she not wanting to end her life but just doesn’t want to be here any more. I told her that I loved her and don’t think rash going to make any difference. I feel as though she’s lost in the woods and may not be able to find a way out.  Her doctor has told her she functioning at 50% capacity at the moment.

In terms of coping her doctor has asked to write three journals using three pens. If things are bad she writes in red, if they are good she writes in blue. If they are neutral she writes in black. She is liking this approach. She told me she had a day of joy recently where she dreamed she had fallen in love.

She is happy to speak to me, but I feel powerless. Can anyone suggest anything more I should or could be doing? I love both my mum very much I think as well as my darling sister.

Time with your sister may be the best way of helping her @Delicatessen 

@Shaz51 I found this on a commercial website... written by Hailey Shafir

How to Cope with Feelings of Emptiness: 10 Ways to Fill the Void

In addition to seeking counseling, there may also be some things you can do on your own to begin addressing your feelings of emptiness. Making some changes to the way you respond and cope with your emotions and the way you spend your time are usually important components of feeling better.

Here are 10 ways to start combating feelings of emptiness:

1. Start a Meditation or Mindfulness Routine

Meditation and mindfulness describe the practice of being more aware and present in your moment to moment experiences, helping people feel more connected to themselves and their experiences. Mindfulness and meditation also involve being able to pull back and get distance from difficult thoughts, stories, and feelings, which you may have been unconsciously numbing or avoiding.

2. Spend More Time Connecting With Others

Humans are social beings and depend on connection and interactions with others. Social connection is central to your physical and mental health and can address feelings of emptiness that originate from feeling lonely, disconnected, or depressed.

3. Be Intentional With Your Free Time

Instead of watching TV on weekends, make your time off count. Plan things on weekends and evenings that are normally fun, interesting, and fulfilling to you, and push through the initial resistance you might encounter because you “don’t feel like” doing them. Often, you will experience that getting started is the hardest part, and that you feel better afterwards—about both yourself and about making good use of your time.

4. Set & Work Towards Goals

Setting goals can combat emptiness caused by hopelessness, worthlessness, and longing, helping you direct your efforts towards improving your life and circumstances in measurable ways. Setting goals also provides purpose and meaning to your daily life, encouraging you to keep a hopeful view of the future.

5. Find a Creative Outlet

Being creative is good for you in many ways, helping to challenge your brain to think in new ways, giving you an outlet for thoughts and feelings, and providing the satisfaction of bringing your ideas to life. Many creative pursuits are also “flow” activities, or activities that are mentally stimulating and engaging, good for your psychological well being, and providing a sense of calm confidence.

6. Feel Your Feelings

Emotions are part of what make life full and meaningful, and connect you to yourself, others, and your experiences. People who suppress their emotions may experience a sense of emptiness. Learn to sit with your feelings without getting lost or caught up in them or the thoughts that feed them, and you will often find they come and go fairly easily.

7. Heal Old Wounds

Feelings of emptiness stemming from past traumas or losses require people to do the hard work of revisiting and healing these old wounds. This is best done in therapy with a licensed and experienced counselor, but there may be some ways you can work outside of sessions by reading self-help books, joining a support group, or working on developing more self-compassion.

8. Learn More About Yourself

Many people who describe feeling empty inside feel disconnected from themselves and can benefit from doing some introspective work. Consider taking a personality test like the Myers Briggs or Big Five to learn more about your personality and the way it impacts how you think, feel, and behave. You could also work on identifying your core values, which represent the things in life that matter most to you and can provide you with a sense of direction.

9. Be More Active

Exercise and physical activity are good for all aspects of your physical and mental health. Being more active helps you balance brain chemicals that regulate your mood, reduce stress, and provide energy. Making time to be active also helps you get more attuned to your body, which is especially good for people who experience emptiness as feeling disconnected from their bodies.

10. Find a Way to Contribute or Give Back

The act of helping others is one of the most rewarding and psychologically beneficial ways to spend your time and energy. Finding ways to contribute also helps with feelings of emptiness that originate from a lack of connection, purpose, or self-worth. Contributions can come in many forms like volunteering your time, offering to help a friend or coworker, donating to a charity, or even small random acts of kindness.

Ohh thank 😊 you @Dimity 

@Delicatessen , @SmilingGecko , @StuF , @Jacques , @tyme , @Krishna 

That's so helpful @Dimity 🙂

Hugs @Shaz51 - here for you.

Thank 😊 you my awesome friend ❤️ @tyme 

@Shaz51 @tyme I'll have to look back through this thread for ideas... I need a bit of inspiration atm.

Hope all goes well with your kidney appointment tomorrow @Shaz51, there's a lot happening for you right now - best wishes too to Mr shaz

• Hi All. I've come back because after years and years of therapy I get it, I need to stop any communication with my Mum. I need to find coping strategies.

I have just had a look at the toolbox, and I have a few of those already in place.... 

One of my problems at the moment is that I work most days and then when I am not working tend to be looking after my parents who both have health issues.  I have siblings but naturally the only one with sufficient free time tends to be the one who does the least!

I really need to look at some social interactions and more me time, but I work all weekend and that is when most people go out and socialize so that adds to the problem because I tend to be tired or working!

That sounds like a good idea @Arbie_wun  - more ME time 🙂

Schedule and do what you can. Hanging out here on the forums is not too bad either!

See you around!