Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Naz
New Contributor

My brother with Bipolar

My brother was diagonosed wth bipolar disorder 7 yrs back and is on medication but I believe he has still not accepted his illness and leaves his medicines every time he is on his own which leads to a relapse.I am very worried for him as it is effecting his job and taking a toll on my parents aswell.We try to support him as much as we can but worried for his future
3 REPLIES 3

Re: My brother with Bipolar

Hi @Naz I have Bipolar and schizoaffective disorder and to be honest I can understand why your brother might not want to take his medications. The side affects of medications are not great at times. Leaving that aside for a minute I presume he is over 18 and living out of home ? If he is not well maybe that would be a good thing for all concerned (I am thinking of your parents here) if he did.

Does he see a good psychiatrist regularly? It would be great if you could get him there. That would be my first suggestion. Have his meds looked at maybe he hates the often weight gain and sleepyness that comes along with the meds. Maybe he hasn't had a full blown manic episode which has shaken him up up enough to take control over the situation.

So if he was my brother I would try to get him to a psychiratrist and get his meds looked at. I would then be encouraging him to move out of home if he hsnt already to give your parents a break.

Wishing you well. gp

He is consulting a psychiatrist and he completely understands his disorder but I believe he still feels some kind of inferiority complex because of his condition and that provokes him to leave his medicines.As you mentioned the weight gain and the sleeping problems bother him.We as a family always stay worried for him as we always fear for his careless behavior .He thinks his disorder can be cured through counsilling and lifestyle changes and not medication.

@Naz It is wonderful that your family stand by him (alot don't). Yes the weight gain and other symptoms weigh (sorry for the pun) heavily on many of us with this condition. It is great that he sees his psychiatrist that is a huge plus and that he has you and your family supporting him. At the end of the day though it is his lifel, his journey and he will have to come to certain decisions himself.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance