Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Arwen
Contributor

Teen mental health

I'm a mum who has been struggling to support my 14 year old who has extreme anxiety and has self harmed. Is there anyone out there who I can chat to for my own support and well being?
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Teen mental health

Hello Arwen,

Being a carer or parent for a teen who may have mental health issues can be a very difficult and stressful job. What sorts of things would you like to talk about with the community here? im sure there will be others to connect to here who may have been through a similar experience. I mentored a teen for 3-4 years once with anxiety and harming issues- not a parent i know but i still found this very challenging.

Hi Arwen, 

Welcome to saneforums. 

Sounds like things are pretty stressful you. It's great that you're taking some time to care for yourself - this is so important when caring for others.  

You may find Grow helpful, it's an agency that organises group support for both carers and people affected by MI. ARAFMI is another organisation that provides support specifically to people who care for people with MI. @Hobbit - one our moderators works there so if you got any more question about ARAFMI feel free to ask him.

Anyone else got suggestion for Arwen? @Tiredmum  @MamaBlue @PeppiPatty 

CB

Also check in with headspace or eheadspace. I heat lots of positive work being done there. Also, would you consider contacting your local community health centre and see if they can provide youth outreach to your teenager?

If you know your teenager is hooked into some mental health supports that may take some pressure and anxiety off you.

Depending on where you are, see what carer peer support groups there are where you are. Your child's high school may also know of some supports locally in your area.

Hi Arween,

Just read your post, and I would like to say that although you are in a stressful situation, you show a lot of strength and obvious love simply by coming to furms like these and reaching out to others.

I think the referrals you have been given are great resources - please know that there are people and organisations out there that can and will help you.

You might also want to try the Raising Children Network, who have all sorts of information and services for helpling a teenager with a metal illnes. You can view their site here.

I hope you stay in touch and let us all know how things are going, Arween. There are people on this forum that you can talk to who really care.

Hobbit.

Thanks - think it's really about some time for me to express some of my sadness and frustration and get support if I can rather than always focussing energy outward. I've realised this last week I have to look after myself coz I'm finding it harder to support my daughter consistently when I'm tearful etc myself.

Hi, thanks - I have thought about contacting arafmi - they have a group near where I work but the trouble with that is that the nature of my job means clients of our service might attend - so I feel I can't access it. My daughters been seeing a counsellor at Youth Focus and they have said they will get a family support worker to ring me.

Hi - thank you. My daughter has been seeing a psychologist and subsequently a counsellor from Youth Focus which has been helpful. I think this space is more for me to get an outlet rather than focussing on services for her which I feel us my whole life right now. Sorry if that sound selfish.

Hi Hobbit
I've posted some replies which may give an idea of where my heads at - someone said you had links with arafmi - I am waiting to hear back about possible support from a family worker at youth focus where my daughter has been going - was thinking that's a start as I won't have to start from scratch explaining it all to a new service - have thought about arafmi but just felt too worn down to start over again.

Hi Arwen, I attended Grow Better Together in Victoria to help me through really difficult challenges. I don't know where you are based but other services such as SHARC also offers support for carers as does I think MIF. I think MIF's programme might be called Wellways, and they might be in your area.. They are changing their name to MI FELLOWSHIP.
Completely get you need space for you...
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance