Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

@Former-Member @Smc

Any ideas on this one.

20181219_174757.jpg

20181219_174803.jpg

20181219_174809.jpg

20181219_174813.jpg

20181219_174813.jpg

@Determined, I agree with @Former-Member that the second plant in the post is a Blackboy. The first one looks like a cycad. Both plants that take a long time to mature, so you've inherited a couple of special ones from the gardeners before you. 🙂

I didn't realise that about the about the cycad @Smc but I did know about the black boys.

My old boss (or more to the point his wife lol) paid a couple hundred dollars each for some potted ones a fraction the size of what we have.   I just dont understand them being planted so close together. Usually someone who spends a lot of money on plants has some idea of what they are doing or pays someone who knows to do it for them. 

Even darling is amused about some things being too close together lol. That used to be one of my biggest gripes with her plantings so if she thinks it is too close it must be bad lol.

@Determined, my garden would probably have you coming in with a machete. 😄 I plant closely. The idea is to have plants stacked, like they grow in a forest. I don't mind if one plant tangles into the next as long as they both grow, but I have been guilty on occasion of losing plants because one grew bigger than I expected, or self seeded more prolifically, and swamped out something next to it.

Not sure on the latest plant picture @Determined - @Smc, do you have any idea? Taking a bit into your local nursery for identification is another option.(Bunnings often have a horticulturist mon-fri).

Was MIL suitably impressed with your labours @Determined?

Mr Darcy has done a bit more mulching mainly around the row of hydrangeas that I finally got planted. We also picked up 5 more plants to finish the plumbago/philadephus bed but have not planted them as yet.  Have got a bit of weeding done most days.  With the rain and warm we have had the grass is growing so we need to be mowing. 

Mum in law delighted with the garden @Former-Member

I took her for a ride around in her wheelchair to check it all out when she got home.

Know what you mean about the grass growing.  Bit of rain backed up by hot humid days and things are growing well here also.

We got a callistemon to replace the mystery tree that I will be cutting out. The callistemon will fit in much better with the trees already there. Noted that different varieties have different mature sizes so purchased one that should fit in well long term 😊

Also got some supplies to have a go at getting cuttings to grow. Darling is most amused at my newly found enthusiasm in the garden. 

S2 went around the garden with me this afternoon and cut a selection of flowers to take in for Nan. We have a nice variety in flower at the moment. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Did a bit of weeding while Mr Darcy walked the dog. When he returned he was keen to get plants we bought in situ in the garden and am pleased to report they have all been planted.

Filled in gaps in front garden with 3 more carpet roses. 

A couple of punnets of vanilla marigolds and an orange coreopsis  filled in some spots in another bed where I also popped in some daffodil bulbs that we had enjoyed indoors months ago but were still cluttering the bench. (That's my one 'declutter item' for the day 😀).  

Carpet rose sounds nice @Former-Member

I will have to check some out. Have a section of garden that may work well in. 

Do the need a lot of direct sunlight or is shaded ok? 

Full sun best @Determined, carpet roses are hardy, prickly,  horrible to weed around. I have a mix of dark pink, light pink & white with seaside daisies in between to help supress the weeds. Not particularly a favourite but they are crisis proof plants - do well in council roundabout/median strip plantings.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance