Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

lucky
Contributor

Gratitude List

Getting close to the end ! V; V is for violets - sweet- smelling but tough plants! A bit like wives caring for husbands with a mental illness - sweet but (at times need to be..) tough!

Cheers,

Lucky

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Gratitude List

I forgot a big gratitude "V" word " Vegetables - I am grateful for my new hobby of growing a variety of lovely vegies -  enjoy the satisfaction of harvesting them, trying new ones (eg: eggplant)  and the delicious flavour!

Cheers again

Lucky

Y is for Yum Cha - going to celebrate with new d-in-law and her parents this weekend. Yellow - my granddaughter's favbourite colour - grateful to be able to see colours!

Z is for Zoo - the Melb Zoo is a great place to take kids and for adults to enjoy twilight concerts,

Z reminds me I need a snooze - zzzz!

This exercise has been fun and made me appresiate many things!

Cheers

Lucky

My grattitude V word is Victory.

For the times when I really think I can't and then find that I can.  One small step at a time.

Hi Kiera80

I like your V gratitude word - Victory! It's all about my attitude - changing it from negative to positive but also taking small steps and congratulating myself when I achieve my goal! Being able to grow and enjoy, as well as share, my vegetables from the back garden is a small victory - simple but enjoyable!

I didn't offer any gratitude for the letter X. (As I often do, I skipped ahead). I frequently place an "X" after my name, whether it is a letter, card, text or email!  A kiss is a small offering of affection to the person I am writing to. .. also an O (hug) Grateful to receive and give kisses - especially from family and friends!

Cheers

Lucky XO 

What happened to "Y".

I did not see this thread earlier when I started one on gratitude.

Y for Yes to life

Hi Appleblossom

I posted a couple of "Y" words on the Gratitude List in March: "Yum Cha and Yellow". I enjoyed the contact with other Sane contributors who worked through the alphabet with me.

One of my BIGGEST blessings (for which I am grateful) is discovering the wonderful program callled

"Al-Anon Family Groups" which supports the families and friends of alcoholics. Helpline:1300 252 666

www.al-anon.alateen.org/australia

This program has been a "sanity saver" for many thousands of families over the past 60 years in Australia.

Cheers,

Lucky

Can we go back to A and start again. Appleblossom, Amethyst, Art

I have been lucky in that I have not had a lot of problem with dealing with alcohol and drunks. So I never felt joining those groups appropriate. 

My mother tended to over dramatise the few times my dad or brother got drunk and I felt that her fear about it (based on her dad) caused more problem of judgments and negativity for them than they really deserved. Inappropriate projections. So mostly we were tea totallers.

My ex could have gotten really bad.  He just annoyed me a little bit if he finished pantry sherry or brandy that I bought for special recipes, but he managed to contain that problem for the sake of family. It was my way of normalising and including but having some boundaries.  I just stopped doing fancy desserts. All in all my ex is pretty healthy now, he has a general schizophrenic-like personality, few freinds etc but good quality of life.

When I left my ex I bought a few cases of wine so that I could model for my children appropriate  social drinking. I enjoyed the sharing and conviviality it brings.Its not an issue in the current generation of my actual kids, though a big issue in the world. I may not have a drink in a year or I might .. all depends.

This forum goes deeper to the issues as it is the reasons behind drinking and substance abuse that interest me.

cheers

I am happy to start another Gratitude List using the alphabet - keeps me focussed on the positive!

A is for Al-Anon (Family Groups), apples, apricots and almonds. I'm also grateful for my grandchildren's affection.

Cheers

Lucky

B is for bed (so good in winder!), beach (so good in summer!) and bravery!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance