Skip to main content

Re: Decluttering and home maintenance

Good work @Smc, papers can be very time consuming to sort. 

Mr Darcy threw out some old work training course manuals. 

Three jigsaws  went to an op shop and a few bits have been put aside to see if we can give them away at the weekend.

hello @Sophie1, @Former-Member, @Determined, @Smc, @Former-Member, @Former-Member, @Janiee, @Appleblossom, @greenpea, , @Adge

well from mum`s and our house  we have thrown out 2 vacuum cleaners , I cot , I Fan

@Former-Member, I had a chair full of paper and things and now are on the nice cleared table Smiley LOL

@Shaz51 Yay! I love decluttering!

'Onya @Shaz51 πŸ‘.

Love to hear of any  decluttering victories, no matter how small @greenpea

We got a section of our roof replaced this week as well as the guttering sorted (following leak onto house). It took a fair portion of our house repair $$.  

I forgot to take the stuff I had hoped to give away when we caught up with some friends. 

@Former-Member Okay Darcy when I was manic and in hospital my family through out 90% of what I owned (admittedly most of it was crap but still ....). I moved into a new place   and 18 months later moved again so I chucked out everything the washing machine, dining room table, the sofa, it felt fantastic!!! I bought a smaller washing machine and table but no sofa .... I am determined not to have to do it again so I don't buy anything that I need to lug around. I could easily live in a teepee or a 1 bedroom cabin.

Yikes @greenpea don't think I could live in a tent and I do like my sofa  πŸ˜€.

Sounds like we could learn a thing or two from you about not buying unnecessary stuff or holding on to things we no longer need. 

@Former-Member πŸ™‚

my step D1 has learnt that too @greenpea, @Former-Member

she has moved around a  far bit , settling down now as she has a partner

but on every move she would sell things and throw out things before her next move

@Sophie1

Bag of clothes to op shop = πŸ‘

Hello All. πŸ™‚

@Shaz51@greenpea, when someone's moving frequently, it does often make more sense to sell/pass on and refurnish at the other end. But yeah, I'd find it hard to live like that. I love having heirloom or heirloom-worthy pieces around. (I'm looking across the room at the bookcase that my sister and I had as children for all our picture books, and sitting on a ladderback chair that used to be my Grandma's. πŸ™‚ )

We've got a fair bit of "scruffy antique"/vintage furniture here, the kind of things made to last for a century or two (or more?) so if we needed to cull out any of those pieces we'd be hoping to sell them to a good home. I do want to get rid of some of the more modern and not-as-well-made pieces. Some we'll pass on to new homes, others will probably be broken up and any useful bits salvaged. (Wonky chipboard shelves don't count as useful... if I break them in half they'll fit in our rubbish bin. πŸ˜› )

We managed to do a decent bit of clearing up before our friends came to visit on Friday. Sadly, the other extreme of our furnishings is cardboard box storage... often unsorted or semi-sorted boxes of things that were getting in the way. A lot of the latter part of the clear up was just restacking said boxes more neatly to make space, BUT I did find a few things I was looking for in the process, and a few things which I could immediately pin as rubbish. And the restacking means we can have a better idea of what we have to sort out next.

It's nice having a bit more room to move, so we're hoping that works as a motivation to keep up the momentum. Today's task is clearing up some of the clutter in and around our carport, because a friend and a friend-of-our-friend are coming to visit, and want to look over our currently mothballed motorbike.