Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

Jackson
Contributor

Suggestion

Sane Australia,

One of the challenges for less common psycho-physiological expression in the workplace might be that it is seen as something to exclude rather than to experience a particular level of its incidence.

I am a first aid officer at work. Every year I do a course which takes me through a structure of physical injury and conditions that need immediate attention for the reduction of harm.

This both reduces the impact of the experience of an medical incident of a particular type as a result of knowledge, but secondly normalises such events.

What would happen if you got in touch with St Johns Ambulence, and the Red Cross, and had the content abouth the list of conditions you have listed in the information section of your website included equally in that training? Would that be a plus or a minus?

For example:

Schizophrenia

Schizphrenia is a significant variance from the average output of the human bodies thinking, feeling, and acting.

First Aid: (just an example): People with schizophrenia may have medication. Stay with the person for .... Call ..

etc

Cheers,

Jack

7 REPLIES 7
NikNik
Senior Contributor

Re: Suggestion

Hi @Jackson 

Great analogy between mental & physical health.

SANE provides a "Mindful Employer" program. Is this similar to what you mean?

Nice!!!

kristin
Senior Contributor

Hi Jackson,

Welcome to the forum!

What an excellent pragmatic suggestion. Thanks.

Take care.

Kind regards,

Kristin

Hi @NikNik,

I cannot currently view video as I have no sound on my pc, but I suspect from your response that you may have missed a really pertinent part of @Jackson's suggestion.

I think he's saying: also take it straight to org's like Red Cross and St John's Ambulance to add to their public training. I think it is definitely worth a try because it has the possibility of getting these org's to help in a very grass-r00ts pervasive way to assist in "normalising" MI.

Kind regards,

Kristin

@NikNik 

I'm not sure whether you ever saw this post - as there is no response or "like" from you. I think it was an important and valuable suggestion that @Jackson made. I'd love to see SANE take this up.

Kind regards

Kristin

Hi @kristin 

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I assumed I had addressed @jackson's post due to his response. However, would I be right in saying that what you're saying is 'Mindful Employer' is different to what you & Jackson is referring to, which is that SANE should lobby for St Johns etc to integrate mental health first aid into their courses?

Thanks for the clarification,

Nik

@NikNik

Just adding to this discussion with the information that there is a not for profit organization that has a number of very comprehensive first aid courses.  These are research based and were developed in Australia operating from Melbourne.  If you google MHFA you'll find all the information you need. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance