Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

ClockFace
Senior Contributor

Mum

Im currently looking after my sister while she is in hospital for past few months. She bounced between a few hospitals general and mental. She is now in a mental facility but release date is tomorrow and I will be looking after her at home. She is self harming, just got diagnosed with Boarderline Personality Disorder, still having outbursts etc. 

I have a range of medical and mental issues. I have my 4th surgery for the year on the 9th March. Im trying to get into an urgent psychiatrist appointment via my GP (they are being difficult).  So my stress levels are pretty high. 

My Mum has a aquired brain injury (about 5 years ago) and is in heart failure. She doesnt come out her room. She requires someone to wake her each day (falling to me at the moment). Meals are brought down. She does nothing in maintaining the house. She has not once gone to see my sister in any hospital, despite rides being offered. She has been asked to look after my sisters puppy while she is in hospital, the moment I get home or soon after she tries to get me to take him and complains to my Dad that I dont. 

Her doctors have said that she should be able to be mobile, help etc. The brain injury didnt cause overall impairment and she scores well on their tests. 

I dont buy into her whole I cant do anything attitude but I have held back and while not really doing much in the way to serve her I didnt go out my way to not. She eats super doopers (an iced confectionary) like they are going out of fashion. The thing is a pack of super doopers is 1680ml and she has a 1500ml fluid allowance. She then has (her claim) one cup of tea a day. That would put her significantly over her allowance. She winges about how swollen her legs are (from fluid retention) which puts her in hospital when it reaches her lungs.

I woke her up and she was already up and immediately asked for a pack of super doopers which I calmly said I wasnt going to do that. I said that I am not going to be involved and she can get it herself. Lot of screaming. I hung up. 

A significant part of the reason my sister is in hospital is the way my Mum treated her, continually pushing her, do this do that, pick this up (she buys crap from buy swap sell on Facebook) so my sister would be out most if not all the day almost every day. She does the same to my Dad, take this food down, do this do that. I dont take it nearly as much

Am I being too agressive. I dont want her to go to hospital again, I cant stop her but I can stop myself and this applies to a range of things. I think that the reason she is having mobility difficulties is cause she doesnt do anything and thats affecting her muscles etc. I think she needs to work on her muscle condition and get off her arse. Ill support that but not continual abuse of me, my Dad and my sister

1 REPLY 1
tyme
Community Lead

Re: Mum

Hi @ClockFace ,

I'm hearing you. 

There is so much happening for you that in the mix of things, are you finding support for yourself? 

As much as you want to be able to support each family member, I'm worried that you will experience 'carer's fatigue' (if you haven't already).

Does your sister have supports for her BPD?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance