Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Mary0265
Casual Contributor

Involuntary admission

I just wanted to ask support and advice regarding my son's recent involuntary admission. He is so distressed , I'm worried that it is causing him more trauma. He has been in for 2 days now and I'm not allowed to visit him yet . He has ASD as well as shizophrenia.

What rights do we have, it appears all the power is in their hands ?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Involuntary admission

Hi @Mary0265 

Sorry to hear this is happening for you. Usually they would give you information on admission in regards to his rights. Do you know if they did this? 

There is some info here that may be helpful. https://www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/ways-to-get-help/publications-and-resources/have-you-been-involuntar...

Take care and keep reaching out,

Hanami

Hi @Mary0265 ,

I'm sorry to hear this has happened to your son. It certainly sounds very traumatic. The hospital probably wants to try and stabilise medication etc to help with the schizophrenia - who knows?

Is there a reason the hospital doesn't want you to see him? Is it because your son has requested that or is it because he is acute care?

Hi there

I have gone through similar situations many of times

Generally my family and I have found, even though it is hard to co-operate, you will eventually get the answers you need

If you have any further questions, please let me know

• Thank you for replying.

I just spoke to the Dr and they are letting me see him today. I'm just wondering if there's a less traumatic way to admit people, it is really confronting. There was little explanation given about the whole process sadly 😥 

Yes, thank you. They did give him this information and he said he asked a nurse about it but it wasn't followed through. I'm not sure what really happened as he has been very distressed.

That sounds so hard @Mary0265 . My admissions haven't been the most pleasant either - but much of that was because I was so unwell and in such high distress that I'm not sure there could have been a 'nicer' way. However, as carers, it is understandable how worrying it would be to be watching on.

Glad to here you have visitor's rights!!

Personally, talking to the Peer Support Body is extremely helpful

Hoping you will have access to them

Good Luck

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance