Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: I'm losing myself and I'm trying so hard to hold on and not get left behind

Hey @Former-Member I use the Calm app as well. I love the Daily Jays and Jeff’s as well. I live that Jess has lived experience with Mental Health. He really 

Welcome to the forums @tori_  I, like you, have spent many years covering my depression mostly with success until the past few years. My depression has got worse and I am struggling with Uni and work.

i have regular sessions with a wonderful psychiatrist and she has been careful not to over Medicate me.

Exercise has helped me a lot as has starting the day with a regular routine. I’d love to just lose myself in some great literature but Uni has to be prioritised.

Its lovely to meet you and I hope you find help on the forum.

hello @tori_ how are you feeling? Better worse?
Why dont you do a mental health plan with your GP and get your 10 free sessions? 
I’m not sure about your past situation, 

But some of us here have experienced sexual assault as children, for us we can also get free psychology through CASA house. I thought I might mention it to you just in case.

what are you studying at Uni? I did some units at uni but had to quit because I could not cope. I’d love to return to study one day.

How many units are you doing. Do you think it might be a good idea to cut down your study load? 

by the sounds of what I have read from your other posts it sounds like your GP is not understanding how badly this is disrupting your life and happiness. I tend to downplay to my GP because I don’t want to get judged or feel crazy. I have to really make myself tell my GP how bad it is for me. Do you think there is a chance that you have downplayed anything or left important bits of info out?

If you feel you have explained and expressed your concerns fully to your GP but they still dont get it then you are probably right. Maybe a good idea to see another one with more mental health experience.

The way you have explained your obsessive and fixated behaviours is very similar to me. I also cant find or do anything relaxing or find an enjoyable hobby. I think it’s important if you haven’t already to go and get an official diagnosis from a mental health expert. GPs are usually pretty useless with mental health and in my experience only know about anxiety and depression, and as a consequence that’s all they usually treat for unless you get a diagnosis from a qualified mental health professional. It’s the clinical psychologist and psychiatrists who are the ones who will diagnose you and guide your GP and tell them what’s going on.

Im just spitballing, but I’d get checked out for high functioning Autism, and CPTSD if you have a trauma history because that would explain a lot of what you have said you are experiencing. The OCD behaviour could come from a place of neurodivergence (depression and anxiety are common co morbidities) or they could come from perfectionism/self judgement if it’s more of a trauma thing that’s driving it. I don’t think it’s just depression. You have way to many other things going on that you are describing that sound like there is something else at play. but you’re gonna have to get a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist to look into that. Probably a good idea to get a formal diagnosis so that you can get a proper treatment plan.

What do you think? Do you like any of those ideas?

reduce study load — Get clinical diagnosis from mental health professional — Make sure you feel that your GP is taking your situation seriously. 

also practice good self care. I love listings to podcast. Scooting or riding around while listening to podcasts or music and a bit of yoga. Oh and taking baths while listening to  podcast….. I love podcasts. Seeing as we are kind of similar in some ways maybe you can try podcasts in place of books? That way you can still get things done like clean or exercise at the same time. Or maybe you would be into Audiobooks. I love Audiobooks too! I Just got into them recently. It’s sooooo good!

@tori_ wrote:

I'll try and get an appointment to see if there can be a change in medication or dosage. I believe I am on the first choice option, when it comes to medicating for anxiety and depression, but she would know my options better than me so I'll give that a go.

This sounds good, @tori_  👍

Thinking of you with the next 2 1/2 weeks being so stressful for you...good luck with your finals!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance