Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

scruffypuffball
Senior Contributor

Anxious and fearing the unknown

after losing my parents and the gap that has left, now I have to deal with my abuser.  The doctor said he did not show up for his injection last month.  did not show up this month, so they called me to inform me and asked if I have seen him. I am not on speaking terms with him, so low contact.  I saw him briefly last week to give a bill which initially he didnt pay.  Doc then sent police for welfare check.  Police said he presented as normal, he told them he is seeing another doctor (not sure if this is true). 

Then he turned up for his injection yesterday and told doc he didnt want to be on injection.  Doc said he has to see psychiatrist for evaluation - they decide.  He doesnt want to do that.  Now got call twice from triage psych for hospitalisation or at least face to face evaluation.  He is not answering their calls so they are on their way there now. This issue is, he has the mind of a 10 year old, has ASPD, Schizophrenia and has rented out two rooms in the house - i am not sure how they are treating him.

Obviously his scaffolding has fallen away (parents), so it is best he is back in the system where they can case manage him until he is stable.  But the fact he wants to be off the meds - (he turns into a monster without them - remember he has ASPD).  Schizophrenia on its own - is treatable.  But when they have mental pathology (Psychopathy + Schizophernia), it is a volatile mix.  I remember Bandy Lee saying a mix of those two conditions and it is classified as the most dangerous psychopathology known to man.  I lived with him for 20 years (untreated) and it was the worst thing that ever happened to me.  I have cptsd from it.

So just sitting and waiting.  I have cut ties, but still...

thx for listening.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Anxious and fearing the unknown

Hey @scruffypuffball ,

Thank you for sharing. That sounds incredibly uncomfortable. I hear you are staying low key but it is still understandable to feel uncomfortable about the unknown.

If sounds like the medication is what is keeping him well. I'm glad to hear that he is back in the system too. It sounds like he needs all the support he can get right now. 

As for you, do you have supports in place for yourself? I can be quite lonely sitting with these thoughts.

We are hear for you. 

Please take care,

tyme

@tymethx for checking in.  Psych triage said they would call me today, but they havent.  I am assuming they tried again today and he didnt open the door to them.  I hope they will keep trying until he is hospitalised and in the system and is visited by a case manager again regularly.  That is what we are aiming for.  I know he wont comply which is why it is taking a long time.  At least he has to turn up for the GP injection.  We will see what happens next month.

They may send the police over @scruffypuffball . Sounds worrying.

I know they are contacting you even though you don't have much to do with him now. Do you feel okay about that? I just want to make sure that you are okay as it can bring up a lot for someone in your position.

@tymethis has happened before where psych triage went with the police in 2012 and they found him hiding in the backyard.  My parents and I were at my house so we were distanced then as well.  We had to leave it up to the system to take over as nothing we did made a difference.  Actually it was worse when he was not in the system for 13 years and we were dealing with it ourselves.  The GP found out and got involved.  He said "you have lost control of the situation, I am taking over whether you like it or not".  That was such a relief when that happened.  You really need a strong advocate.  So even though I am nervous, at least I am not dealing with it alone.  That the GP practice has my back.  My fear is they will give up if he makes it too hard for them.  Or he stops going for his injection.  But then I guess they have to go looking for him...

Very true. For your own mental health and wellbeing, sometimes you need to leave it to the system @scruffypuffball . Otherwise, instead of having one person unwell, you end up with two or more. 

These boundaries are so important. And it's not like you haven't tried to help him in the past. He sounds quite unwell. I hope he gets the help he needs.

At the same time, I hope you feel heard and supported throughout this situation.

How are things going @scruffypuffball ? 

@tyme hi thanks for checking in.  spoke to gp.  they are going to organise ndis for my brother.  but i woke up ok 2day and now i am depressed again.  struggling to eat something.  i am eating 2 meals a day.  going backwards.  this week i really succumbed.  it was b/c of him.  anyways.  forcing myself to eat something now.  i dont want to be this way.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance