Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friends, families and carers

CCG
Casual Contributor

Advice about a sibling

Hello, I am 68 and a pensioner. My sister is 65 and homeless. She has ADHD and drinks and smokes. She does not take her medication properly and either doesnt sleep or sleeps for days on end. She has stayed with me for 6 months but I can no longer support her but I know she has no where to go and will not manage as she is on centerlink.  Any suggestions what I should do? @CCG

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Advice about a sibling

Hey @CCG 

Welcome to the forums. If she is homeless or about to be homeless then she should be eligible for the priority housing list to get into Government Housing. Do you think if she had her own place that she would be able to manage on her own? It depends on what state you are in as to what programs are available. For example, in NSW if you live in Government Housing and have a mental health condition you may be eligible for the HASI program. I'm not knowledgeable on programs for other states but maybe someone else here can tell you more. What state are you in?

Hi Ainjoule, thank you for you response. She has been eligible for government housing for many years but will not fill out the forms. My sister is stubborn and manipulative and will not take advice, she often fibs to protect herself. Very frustrating but I guess her behaviour is symptomatic of ADHD and trauma. Sadly it is draining my own financial resources and I am now cornered. (I have been looking after her and her children on and off for 30 years). Her children have moved on and will not help her.

Hi @CCG 

Hope you're well today?

Does your sister have a social/community worker or someone on her medical team that she would feel comfortable to sit down with and have a chat about with you together about options moving forwards? 

Otherwise, you could chat privately. It would be best to include her in the conversation if you can, maybe look at options together. Otherwise, you could ask her what she has considered for herself so far? 

Have you thought about what timeframes work best for you? Did you have an agreement when she first arrived? 

Thank you for your response App8tree, some of your recommendation's I have already done - asking her to let me know her plans and provided her with a deadline She will not let me connect with her psychiatrist or doctors with her and of course cannot seek advise from them without her.

This morning she said she will let me know her plans. Cross fingers

Hi @CCG 

That's good that she's agreed to talk with you 🤞

A forums tip, if you want someone to know that you've replied, just type the @ symbol, and select their name from the dropdown box that appears 😉

Hope you have a good night!

Thank you all for tips and support.

My sibling has agreed to seek other accommodation and seems to be confident she will find something soon.

CCG

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance