Skip to main content

Re: The Weekly Friday Feast

Hi @Crazy_Bug_Lady,

i hope you don't mind me cutting into the conversation, but i live across from a farm, i love to watch the steers and their is one calf, a pig and a lot of chickens and 1 rooster.

i love to watch animals, especially wildlife, i have several frogs living in my garden and have many birds too, i don't like seeing animals caged i like them to be free, if they come to me i will enjoy their presents if not i enjoy their sounds.

i used to show steers when i was t high school, it was fun washing them and getting them ready for the show.

That's awesome @Jacques !
I would love to on or near a farm... I house-sat at a farm for a week a few months ago, that was absolute heaven. All the sounds of nature, not the sounds of traffic I have here at home (I'm a 15 minute drive from the centre of Adelaide). I even got used to the sound of the donkeys going off outside the bedroom window at night.

I am so lucky i live in central west NSW, i live in town but across from a high school ag plot, so i get the best of both worlds, the only problem is the Rooster going off at 5am!!!!

that sounds so lovely having the donky at the window,  their is something so peaceful being on a farm, my uncle ownes a farm and it is so quiet their, you can only hear the water running at the river, so beautiful.

i so prefer being around animals they dont judge you and are just happy to be.

Exactly! I can't really put my finger on exactly why I love being around animals so much, other than they don't judge.
I love working the cattle because it takes a bit of concentration to calm myself and the animal to show off their features.
And it's a bit of a different hobby. I'm not a sporty person, but this gets me outside in the sun, walking about and using my muscles (brain included) to achieve my goals with the cattle. And I'm working as part of a team too.

you are so inspiring, getting back out into society and doing something you love is an added bonus too.

yes it is great working with cattle (unless you are trainning them) we used to have to have two of us to train our steer "big Mac", one to lead the other to get him moving, it did not take long for him to lead properly, stood nice and straight but sometimes it was hard to keep his head up high because he was taller than me back then, haha

it is great you are able to do this, the farmer sounds so generious to you.  good to see.

As part of our Young Breeders Association we head out to schools to help the kids (and teachers) with their steers. We started doing it after seeing how many unsafe situations a lot of school kids end up in, and we all had our own tales of injuries. Since we started we've heard of less injuries, the steers look better at shows, and the kids are more confident. And our schools generally end up with more awards for handling etc.
But seriously, working with cattle regularly takes me out of my normal comfort zone. I end up talking to people I don't know, groups of teens at schools, ridiculous crowds and noise-levels at shows. I do find a lot of it stressful at times, particularly at shows (anyone who has shown anything at a show will know exactly what I mean).
But I mostly handle it. I at least manage to stay calm until I get out the show ring, then I go and put the animal away, and go to the the bathroom or somewhere slightly quieter to calm down and think it through. Thankfully the people I work with are so understanding.

wow you are so strong to be able to do that, i could not even think about being around 2 people, let alone a whole class, i am so proud of you pushing yourself into anxiety provoking situations, i cant seem to do that, too many symptoms to deal with, the best i can do is look at the ground when i am in a shop.

Wow helping school kids too, that is a great idea, my teacher at the time got 2 damaged ribs and severly winded from a steer kicking him, they are so strong.

It is good people you work with are so understanding, and you have learned ways to manage your panic attacks, i think in time you will be able to handle more and more, i wish you all the best with it.

i have to go now, sorry, but i just could not pass up talking about the animals i like so much, and seeing what you wrote i can see you like cattle to.

Take Care, and hope to speak again

Jacques

See you 'round @Jacques
Thanks for the chat. 🙂

Nice of you to pop in @Jacques! Hope to see you at the Friday Feast again.

The Forums are about to close so just want to say goodnight to everyone @Crazy_Bug_Lady and @Former-Member. Was a small dinner tonight. But nice to have you around. 

Looking forward to hearing about people's weekend on Sunday Funday...

Happy Friday Feast!

Would anyone like to volunteer to host?

All you need to bring is (virtual) plate of food and a conversation starter!