Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

justanotherguy
Senior Contributor

Trying to watch reality TV

I thought I would try to watch Australian Survivor last night, it has been a long number of years, the bickering and general vibe of the show has never held much interest beyond the first show many years ago.

As I was watching I realised that all it really was about was people arguing over who they would gang up on and betray next, whilst living on rations of coconut and rice. It suddenly seemed very absurd. My understanding of a 'tribe' is a group of people who will try to work together to keep the tribe together. I know it's a fabricated show to try and find a 'winner' but it has become so much a part of Western culture I can't help but think it has had a negative influence on us all.

It was one of the first 'reality' shows but I think the concept has become gradually more and more perverse, to the point where it is just about creating a world of lesser celebrities who end up on other reality/talk shows to tell us all how to live our lives.

I do think 'celebrity' of this kind has immense sway over society, and it's hard to resist. For many I think it is far more appealing than organised religion or politics. Is this a glimpse of the future?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Trying to watch reality TV

@justanotherguy My husband LOVES Survivor. I sit and watch another very questionable 'reality' tv show on my laptop while he watches Survivor beside me. I guess when there is a cash prize involved, plus the recognition of being 'sole' survivor, people just go for it no matter how they can. I agree about this type of 'celebrity'. Probably not so much Survivor but other 'reality' tv shows definitely bring out a certain type of 'influence'...which ultimately leads to 'influencers' like we see on Instagram. They become famous for just being famous. All that said, there isn't much on free-to-air TV that is not 'reality'. So we are left with little to watch. I know there is of course the option to not tune in. But at the end of a workday a lot of people love to just sit there mindlessly watching this sort of stuff. I'm guilty!

Interesting for sure.

@justanotherguy 

I think shows like this basically promote the out for ones self mentality. We seem to think that working together for a common purpose is wrong and trampling on others (who you may one day rely on) is the way to go. 

Putting stuff in the minds of millions, including kids is going to create a self centred and short sighted generation, or have we got that already

@justanotherguy, I tune in from time to time on both the Australian and American versions, mainly for the sociological observations to me made, when there is nothing else on. I am always waiting for someone to be seriously injured. I always think I would need serious therapy to be part of the show, but can't help but think it is very like the reality I already live. Betrayal and distrust. What a dreadful representation of society. 

I remember several years ago when a skinny little inconspicuous young woman won, beating a well-known cricketer, as I recall. That was heartening.

In some ways I feel I have been 'voted out' of society and after reading quite a few posts on these forums and others, the 'mental health journey' seems to be a reflection of this general attitude from society. Thanks for the response @ClockFace @Historylover @hanami , not sure if you would frame it like this? After being in the mental health system for so long I have met many people who I would consider to be well balance, thoughtful and kind being absolutely harassed and harmed in all sorts of ways.

I have had the thought (only a couple of times) where society is too difficult and I would just like to 'disappear'. Not SH, but just vanish. I'm getting past it now though.

Hi @Historylover , there is actually good evidence for this. If you can be bothered going back over past winners, you may find it's generally the more average people who win. I have not done an empirical study, just my observation after the first several seasons. I can't remember if I noticed this myself or somebody else pointed it out, but it seems to be reflected in society in general. It definitely gave me something to think about.

Mr. & Ms. Average have a chance then, @justanotherguy? Yippee!

Well, @Historylover , if you look at basic statistics, it's around the average where most of life happens. The outliers are where all the risk is, but also obviously the most potential for failure. A long time ago, when I started to look at other people across the world, I noticed I am actually, globally, quite average. Physically, emotionally, mentally, psychologically, income, assets, social standing, the lot. It's quite strange really, which is why I am so stubborn in my view of myself.

@Historylover, the persistent idea in society that somehow we can all be 'above average' is just not technically possible. But it's almost impossible to tell most people that.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance