Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

justanotherguy
Senior Contributor

You can't draw water from an empty well

Na, I'm not that smart, it's an old quote from somewhere.

It just means you can only give so much of yourself before you are emotionally 'empty'. I still see motivational content online which worked quite well for me when I was young, but now it just seems so far away. Was feeling down last week but reached out and kept the black dog at bay. Sometimes day to day is all you can do.

Giving for a natural giver is actually very rewarding, but not if it's being exploited. The key is to see that giving should not be expected unless others are willing to offer something in return. The current world has exploited givers to breaking point, it will take a long time to recover.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: You can't draw water from an empty well

thank you for sharing @justanotherguy 

I think you're absolutely right, too.

I'm just wondering about motivation and black dogs...

I wonder if it's OK to have no motivation for a time and be guiltless about that? A big part of me says 'YES. Let it be a season of rest and repose'...

Another part of me feels the burden of expectation nibbling at my feet Like a rat in the dark , causing all kinds of restlessness...

It may take a long time to recover.

And it sounds like you have atleast identified recovery as an option. (And the goal?)  🙏

@Kyle1 , endless motivation with no life purpose is hard to take. But if you're a realist you can't stay offline forever. Society is structured for down time as it's actually necessary, but the world keeps turning and doesn't stop. I think unrealistic expectations hurt the most.

Hmm... I'd be interested if you'd like to elaborate on that @justanotherguy ?

@Kyle1 , which part? That all made sense to me.

yeah, makes sense to me, too @justanotherguy 

But I wouldn't want to assume that I understand it the same way as you...

I'm just offering - if you'd like to be a bit more specific, I'd be interested to listen.

@Kyle1 , it's all pretty clear. Unrealistic expectations on ourselves & also others causes much pain on the world around us.

I was wondering what you consider 'unrealistic expectations' @justanotherguy ?..

But no matter. Stay golden!

@Kyle1 , I think it gets back to the phrase 'Know Thyself' (apparently from ancient Greece). Our culture values success, and tells people we are all winners, so we set goals we can't attain and fail miserably with no support or explanation. Then we are expected to just jump back up again. Every day of your life should not be a Rocky movie. Seriously, how much of the world is kept running by people on depression and anxiety meds?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance