Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

ClockFace
Senior Contributor

Recovering well

I slept for about 13 hours. I woke up for about an hour but the sleepy time drugs combined with my night meds and thats it, I sleep like a log. Pain is tolerable, still a bit weird walking but not so painful just odd. Where they did the ablation is right where the spine and hip meet so not suprising but its improving pretty quickly.

As Mum and Sister are in hospital dear old Dad has the job of looking after me. He has done the dishes for me, he is cleaning up etc. all the stuff I normally do. He is even putting away my lite n' easy, Im not allowed to bend over or lift anything heavy. He has to keep an eye on me until 2:30 so like 4 hours more, I actually think he might manage it.

Apparently my sister talked to my Dad and wanted stuff brought down, apparently what I sent down wasnt good enough. So she has ordered stuff from BigW for Dad to pick up and bring to her. Dad said it might not be today as he is looking after me, my sisters response was that I could come down as well. It would be an 1.5-2 hour round trip and then seating there isnt ideal given my situation. Im a little offended that she would suggest it. I mean once Im clean from the sleepy time juice ( a few more hours) I am THINKING of driving to the local servo, 15 min either way, to get some more drinks, but only if Im safe. Then I got a message about cancelling an appointment for my sister, first message I got today. I replied that she is going to have to do it. Im not exactly dopey or anything, I just feel quite relaxed, a little seedy. But I am really, really relaxed. Ive had no medicaton to assist in reducing my anxiety and my hands are barely shaking. Its a nice feeling, cant remember the last time that I was this calm. Maybe its just that for a couple days I am not able to do much of anything and need to be left alone.

Just in the process of writing this its getting easier and easier to walk. Im really suprised how fast the pain is lessening. I still have a day or so to be careful about my back, I think short trips into town (15 min either way) for a few days will be it, no driving into the hospitals (45-an hour either way) and Mum and Sister will just have to deal with that. Though I didnt really have plans on seeing Mum, not mean just going from one hospital to another doesnt appeal.

I dont know how to feel. I asked Mum how she was, because at 11:30am she hadnt said anything to me. She asked how I was and immediately went into how horrible her life is. I cut her off. Shes in hospital trying to work out why she keeps falling (its medication IMHO), I just had a spinal procedure and Im her Son, surely a check in that was actually about me would be really nice.

This not being allowed to drive thing sucks though, like Im up for it now, like my back is good to go but it hasnt been long enough since the sleepy time juice. Im keen to go in and get some drinks, Iced Coffee lol. Feel a bit trapped. Never like the 24 hour no drive rule, you would think after the number of procedures Ive had Id be used to it by now. Ive actually lost count of the number of procedures Ive had in last 6 months. I know so far this year its 4 but I think in the last few months of last year it was another 6.

Well Im pretty tired so Im going to have a nap, you know I have been trying to have a nap for months and never had an opportunity, well Im gonna have one today lol.
1 REPLY 1

Re: Recovering well

Glad to hear you are recovering well @ClockFace. seems there is a bit going on. How are you doing today?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance