Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

Re: Join the Community Guide team - applications are now open for January 2022 🎉

@Daisydreamer  Thank you for the opportunity. To tell the truth, i'm scared. I really want to do this, i am scared of making this type of commitment, i'm scared of failing i'm scared that its too good to be true, i'm scared that i'm going to get in my own way and sabotage myself. God its hard to take praise. I have only just discovered how important community is. this is new. and i scared that i'll freefall. like an eagle hovering over a updraft but without the wings to fly with when the updraft stops.

Re: Join the Community Guide team - applications are now open for January 2022 🎉

Hi @nony @Emelia8 @BlueBay @Sans911 @Dimity 

If you have any questions for community guides, you're all most welcome to ask before you make any decisions. All your feelings are valid whether they be anxiety, fear, apprehension, excitement, or any thing else! 

Please know that many of the current CGs have also felt the same. 

For me, being a CG actually aided my recovery. In myself, I'm not a very good orator... being on these forums have enabled me to order my thoughts so that I can better communicate them to others.

The community guide program has a reciprocal effect. In a way, I feel I have gained more than I have given - definitely not what I expected!

To other CGs, please feel free to share your thoughts on this as my experiences may differ from yours.

@HenryX @Shaz51 @AussieRecharger @ShiningStar @MDT @Daisydreamer @wellwellwellnez @Judi9877 @Anastasia @outlander @Zoe7 @jem80 @Faith-and-Hope @NatureLover @Snowie @Fizz @frog 

Hi there @Daisydreamer 

Just letting you know that I am more than happy to continue working as a Community Guide. I love the role and find the role to be very interesting and a great learning experience from myself and other forum members. 
Please let me know if there are any issues concerning me continuing on as a Community Guide as I'd still love to continue in the role if SANE would have me.

Judi9877☺️💐

Hello @BPDSurvivor 

and others visiting this thread and possibly interested in participation in the

Community Guide Team

BPDSurvivor , I certainly agree with your comments with regard to structure and order. If I may borrow your comments for emphasis, I hope that you will not mind.

"For me, being a CG actually aided my recovery. In myself, I'm not a very good orator... being on these forums has enabled me to order my thoughts so that I can better communicate them to others.

The community guide program has a reciprocal effect. In a way, I feel I have gained more than I have given - definitely not what I expected!"  by BPDSurvivor

While I have had some public speaking experience, I have found the Community Guide experience to be fulfilling and rewarding and, for me, an environment allowing me to maintain progress in my personal development, in a very similar way to that described by BPDSurvivor.

At times I have alluded to the fact, that my activity in the forum has complemented the discussions that I have with a counsellor, and in that way, has also assisted in my personal progress.

I am aware that my style of communication may not suit everyone. However, I hope that my presence provides and introduces just one of the many dimensions that exist here in the forum. It is among the differences, that we may each have a place, offering what we have, that is different to that offered by others.

Cross connections are not always easy but that is where, I believe, that development occurs most productively, when our personal resources are stretched beyond their accustomed limit. In these ways we can reach and engage with others, establish and maintain connections and develop in our own particular ways and also assist others in their pathways and progress.

During discussions, I often refer to the mutually supportive aspect and reciprocal interaction that occurs and is established on and within the forum environment. That is the essence of peer-to-peer activity. It definitely involves a two way, mutually beneficial interaction. Being involved as a Community Guide allows a person to develop those skills to a slightly higher level.

Often people will know, from the way and the feelings that they have had, when they have been interacting with others, and the responses that they have received, whether they would see themselves as being effective and able to develop in the role of being a Community Guide.

To those who would like to take the challenge (offered gently) to undertake the role, feel that they have the reserves of mental resources and know how to measure their inputs, I would certainly recommend participation in the Community Guide Team.

With My Very Best Wishes

@HenryX 

nkRe: Join the Community Guide team - applications are now open for January 2022 🎉

Thank you @HenryX @BPDSurvivor  For your comments knowing that you had similar feelings in regards of and going into the Community Guide role has eased some of my anxiety. Thank you all

@Daisydreamer @Judi9877 @Emelia8 @Shaz51

Sorry Forgot others names and haven't figured out how to Group Tag

@HenryX @Shaz51 @AussieRecharger @ShiningStar @The-Hams @Daisydreamer @wellwellwellnez @Judi9877 @Anastasia @outlander @Zoe7 @jem80 @Faith-and-Hope @NatureLover @Snowie @Fizz @frog @BPDSurvivor @Judi9877 

Ok hi, When you each got this opporrtunity, did any of you have the feeling that you where setting yourself up to fail? Or feeling anxious because nearly everything you have committed to in the past has fallen to the way side?

May I ask how long have you been in these roles? and the rewards you've received Personally from this experience? Other than the obvious helping others rewards.

Thanking you in advance.

HUGS Nony

@nony Smiley Very Happy

thank you for your questions xx

I started 6 years ago when the Sane founder and Community manager asked me if i like to be a Community guide 

I remember thinking -- Who Me 

I have made some mistakes along the way but with the help of other Community guides 

the Community Manager who is also here to support you at any times and also the Moderators 

In the last 6 years I have grown in myself to be more confident , more supportive , more sharing and caring and to learn how to listen more 

and I like to add @nony , that being a community guide is a 6 monthly at a time  , so after 6 months you can keep going or end , no pressure xoxo

@Shaz51  Hugs

Thanks I'm currently talking myself through my fears and letting them go through me like an internal shower with them washing off my feet at the end. I am not talking into anything but rather talking myself through.

Thank you so much

Hugs Nony

you are doing great my friend @nony 

you have come soo far forward already , keep on keeping on my awesome friend xoxoxo

Hi there @nony . Thanks for posing your wonderful and thoughtful questions about what it's like as a Community Guide! 

To answer your questions, I'll admit I was scared a little in taking up the role because of the responsibilities given to me and because I wasn't sure if I could make it as a Community Guide in terms of the role and what I had to offer. I'm not big on conflict and I was unsure what would happen if I came across it on the forums but the backup that's been given to me has been wonderful and I appreciate all the help I've been given from other Community Guides, Peer Workers and Managers as well as the moderators that work alongside the forum team. I did think that my mental health might cause issues in the role in regards to taking on other peoples issues but again, that's been okay with the support I've been given. As a Community Guide, there are monthly check in by Sane staff which is good as it means I can talk to them via emails regarding any personal issues I've had or any issues I've experienced on the forums. This year has been particularly trying for my mental health as I had an inpatient admission so I told the Sane staff and they were fine about me taking a break from the forums to work on my own mental health issues and be able to return when I felt up to it, around 6 weeks later. 

I think it's natural to be scared of failing at a new role, especially something like the role of a Community Guide as you're dealing with others and their mental health as well as your own because I was but that's okay. I regard failing as First Attempt In Learning and believe me when I say you will learn lots about yourself and others in this role should you choose to apply for it. I've learnt lots from forum members including new things about different mental illnesses that I didn't know about and other things like new coping strategies for example which have in turn helped me in my own journey of mental health recovery. I'll be honest and say I've started so many different education courses in my life and struggled to finish them so I think I can understand your fears about starting something and not following through with them. My Tafe mental health course is a perfect example as I've started it so many  times and nearly completed it only to bail out just before the end however, I've always returned to it and am determined to complete it this time around by doing it on a part time basis compared to full time which I've tried in the past. I'm also doing uni as we speak as well but I'm taking uni 1 subject at a time which will take me 7 long years but again, I'm determined to get there as I want to get a job in the area that my Tafe course no longer offers- case management. Yes, it's scary to take so much on but I'm handling it and this role has helped because it's related to my areas of mental health that I'm studying. 

As for rewards of the role of a Community Guide, I'd say some of the rewards I've experienced are the friendships of different forum members who have become part of my life and ones which I'm proud to have. I like being able to say good morning to different forum members on a daily basis on the Good Morning thread and celebrating successes of different members on Thumbs up Thursday - Woohoo! thread. Setting up the Daily Achievements! thread that I set up earlier this year was an achievement for me as it helped me deal with my depression and I got to see what other people regard as achievements and that has inspired me at times to keep going when things have gotten tough in my life. 

Being a Community Guide has opened my eyes up to many different things and different perspectives on different topics and ways of thinking and I'm so proud of that occurring. I'm now thinking of using my role as a volunteer to help me gain employment in the mental health sector which is calling out for employees and I like how I've been able to utilise my training that Sane has given me to assist in my personal life and that as a student. The role is only 2 hours per week and you can choose when you want to do those hours. I spread my hours over the week and possibly spend more than that online to be honest, but I don't actually log those times and you're not expected to either like I initially thought when I started this role 18 months ago. As @Shaz51 @Daisydreamer also said, it's only for 6 months at the start and it's up to you if you want to continue on after that initial time period. Some people do, some people don't. It's up to you. The role is exciting, enjoyable, interesting, dramatic at times, educational and most of all I've found it to be fun and a role that feels great to do and not an effort like some volunteer jobs can be. I enjoy working online and believe online Mental Health services can work as a treatment option for some people experiencing mental health in the community, especially those in regional and remote areas where mental health services are limited and I'm grateful for being given this opportunity to do this. Over the past 12 months especially, I've enjoyed being able to work with other forum members over Covid-19 issues, such as lockdowns here in Melbourne and I didn't think I'd be doing that when I first started this role. 

I hope I've answered your questions in the way you'd like. I look forward to hearing if you do choose to apply for the role as a Community Guide as I believe you would make an ideal candidate and I'd like to work alongside you.

Take care!

Judi9877☺️🍀

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance