Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

Hobbit
Senior Contributor

What do you think of the term "carer"?

Hi Everyone,

It's Hobbit here (I'm a moderator on these forums for those that don't know me).

Besides these forums, I also work at Mental Health Carers ARAFMI NSW Inc. Recently we had some correspondence from the NSW Mental Health Commission regarding the term "carer" and what people actually think of this term.

I myself have talked to a lovely woman recently who said "what is it with the word 'carer'? I'm not so much a carer as I am a mother"

I thought I would take the opportunity open a discussion and see what you wonderful people thought of the term "carer".

Here is the correspondence that we received from the Mental Health Commission. If you want to view it on ARAFMI's website go here

Message below:

“I am not long back from a trip to NZ where I had the opportunity to visit some mental health services and programs. I was taken with the use of the term family/whanau when referring to family members of consumers. I am probably poking a hornets’ nest by asking you where our current thinking is at a national and policy level about the term ‘carer’ but I would be interested to know whether there is any enthusiasm for change.”

I would LOVE to hear from you guys, YOU ARE THE ONES THAT CARE!!! If you guys want to tell me your thoughts on this topic it, the Hobbit will be your voice!!

Hobbit.

29 REPLIES 29

Re: What do you think of the term "carer"?

I think a lot of people have difficulties in coming to terms with the word carer as they feel that before that they are a parent/sibling/partner and feel that those roles over rule a carer.  Personally I never really accepted the term as I felt it was replacing my role as mother so I agree with the thinking.  Also the word carer tends to make people think of paid carers which kind of detracts from the importance of family carers in my opinion.

Hey thanks for your feedback JT. I think this is a very important topic for a lot of people, as I have often heard it sort of "pigeon-holes" them into something.

Love to hear other's views too!!!

Hobbit.

I personally hate the term but have had to come to terms with it.  It has been very hard to see my relationship change from a wife to a carer and our lives change accordingly

ZZ

Hello all,  I am new to the forums and appreciate the opportunity to be in touch with understanding friends after losing contact with other 'Carers".  I do not find the term Carers helpful because as a Mum I know we never stop caring and neither do the other family members. I think the term has been hijacked and corporatised but I don't know what else we can  be called.

Hi I am new to Sane but have years of experience as a carer...

I have no problem with the term "Carer" but noted your use of the term "Consumer".. a person with a mental illness, I suppose.

If that is what it is, I vehemently oppose the use of it. 

Hi @Gray ,

Thanks for your contibution!! I think the technical term 'consumer' means that the person has accessed a mental health service/s, and are therefore are 'consumers' of the services. I still hear a lot of people say that as a term it is rather soulless though.

I notice you are new to these forums. So here's a really big welcome to you!! Have a look around, there are plently of people here that can offer some good practical advice and are super supportive too!!

Hobbit.

Hi Hobbit,

Thanks for that, I'll will perhaps come back to it later.

Meanwhile, I am curious.. What is a Moderator?

There are things I want to do here in Mount Gambier, SA.  to help and support Carers etc., hopefully via SANE

Can you give me advice and point me in the right direction.

Hi @Gray 

Welcome to the Forums.

It's really important for us to maintain a productive and safe online environment for our members, which is why we have moderators and community managers. You'll see us around a bit 🙂

Hobbit isn't online until next week, so I thought I'd jump in.

It's great that you want to do something in your local area. My main suggestion would be to get in contact with Carers South Australia and Mind Australia to see what already exisits and they may also have suggestions on what you can do.

Hope this helps

Nik

Hi @Gray  Welcome to the forums.  Are you a carer or a person with mental illness?  Or both which many of us are.  

Personally, as a consumer I don't particularly like the term either but the history is that it was selected by people who have mental illness so until the conversation brings in an alternitive it is what it is.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance