Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Daisydreamer
Senior Contributor

Mental Health Month #ShareYourOneThing 💙 Share the simple things that help your wellbeing

Hi there Forums Community 👋 

Today is the first day of Mental Health Month!

While any time is a good time to talk about mental health, having a dedicated awareness month helps remind us that we are not alone, help is available if needed, and there are many things we can do to stay on top of our mental health – now and all year round.

You will see lots of discussions across the forums, within the mental health services you are connected to, and in the media... there are so many ways to get involved!

Join the Conversation and Take Action

To celebrate Mental Health Month, and the positive conversations and actions it can spark, SANE Australia is encouraging everyone to share the simple things that help make each day that bit easier or brighter using the hashtag #ShareYourOneThing.

Our Peer Ambassadors told us it’s the ‘little things’ and simple routines that help get through each day, particularly during lockdown – things like walking, running, sewing, cooking, singing, journaling or simply hugging loved ones, like our Patron, Osher Günsberg!

This is something we see here on the forums too in our Self Care Activities discussion on the Lived Experience Forum and Coping Toolbox on the Friends, Family and Carers Forum.

So we’re asking everyone to share their ‘one thing’ in the spirit that it might help others too.

There’s also science behind this; evidence shows that routines can really benefit our mental health, including increasing our motivation, reducing self-critical thinking, and helping create a sense of achievement.

So let’s get this conversation – and those ‘little things’ – started!

#ShareYourOneThing here on the forums!

We will be keeping this discussion going throughout the month, encouraging you to #ShareYourOneThing in this discussion! 

How to get involved:

• Share your one thing in this discussion
  • Tag others to invite them to join in and share their one thing
  • "Support" posts of others that resonate with you, or to let members know they are heard
  • Check out SANE’s Facebook and Instagram to join the conversation throughout October and see how other's are sharing their one thing
  • If you are new to the SANE Forums, sign up and make your first post here

Throughout the month, we will posting discussions, activities, events and blogs here so you can join in this Mental Health Month!

Let’s take care of ourselves and each other this Mental Health Month, and remember – free, professional support is only a click or a call away with SANE!

35 REPLIES 35

Re: Mental Health Month #ShareYourOneThing 💙 Share the simple things that help your wellbeing

My one thing is colouring in mandala patterns with bright pens/pencils! The colours bring me light and positivity, and the physical act of colouring in grounds me and clears my mind.

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 1.28.48 pm.png

Just tagging some of the community who may be around! What are yours? @BPDSurvivor @Shaz51 @BlueBay @Owen45 @pinklollipop15 @RedHorse @Arizona @frog @Oaktree @HenryX @SJT63 @Millieme @utopia @Judi9877 @Flying_Hams @Anastasia @SmilingGecko @Sam3 @greenpea  Smiley Very HappyHeart

@ShareYourOneThing

Re: Mental Health Month #ShareYourOneThing 💙 Share the simple things that help your wellbeing

@Daisydreamer  Rather busy at the moment and I know my opinions are often controversial, but I will add this from a well-experienced point of view:

While routine is important, and finding ways to get through the day equally so - there is more to mental health and well-being than that.

It is not getting through the day that is as important as much as what you have achieved in that day. I'm referring to personal achievements, for without them you are stagnating. And stagnation is the breeding ground for mental ill-health.

Which (non-mental-health) goals are you trying to reach? What are your small steps towards your well-being, to a normal, mentally healthy life?

I'm not talking about airy-fairy ideas but ideas like 'I've always wanted to ....' and go for it! When you achieve it, set the next, more difficult goal! There is nothing more inspirational to greater achievement than each success. It just makes us realize that we are so much more capable than we have imagined. 

What is your untapped potential?

Are you stuck on the mental health roundabout or are you trying to get off it? Completely!!

Reflect on your achievements in the past several years, decades. Are you simply getting though each day or making each day count?

How are you growing? What are you achieving? Do you know where you want your life to go and what steps are you taking to get there?

To quote an old coffee cup saying of many years ago -'Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved'.

And this will be equally controversial: I watched Osher Guensberg's program in recent weeks. I was more than a little disconcerted. It spoke of nothing more than (more) new 'treatments' etc., but no-one spoke of addressing the causes of that particular, so-called 'mental ill-health'. Without addressing the causes - there will only ever be a need for ongoing new 'treatments' - with unrealized expectations, medications, consultations.

I'd like to sit Osher Guensberg down for a good talk! Stop thinking that so-called 'experts' really do know it all. Misconceptions abound. Stop buying in to their 'expertise' and trying each new 'remedy'. Respect your body. 

That mandala is gorgeous @cloudcore!!

I like walking up & down my driveway, believe it or not! 

These days it's bike rides and when I can go down hills fast. Letting gravity do the work makes me feel closer to physical nature. Being at the mercy of the universe lol

@cloudcore

im not sure really, but spending time with my pets is probably the one thing.

thats Beautifull @cloudcore 

good one @Flying_Hams 

theres a few things but Ill mention the main one is music

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance