Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

unsure2021
New Contributor

most likely a stupid question but how do you know if you are having a mental health emergency?

Hi I'm new to this forum

and have managed to stay off of radar for mental health until 4/5 months ago after having my baby. not new to mental health issues with history from teenage years with only more formal diagnosis since 2012: complex PTSD, ADHD, generalised anxiety, depression, major depression / Post natal depression and anxiety. BPD and ? bipolar

basically it seems as though as time goes by I seem to be getting worse rather than better. I work as a health professional and i'm very much aware of how alot of health professionals react to people with mental illness and it didn't help with my experience when after starting a new job in 2018 my PTSD got triggered and then that started a cascade of events where i lost my Permanent position and had to go to casual as my mental health deteriorated very well to the fact i wanted to be hospitalised but somehow it wasn't a mental health emergency.

Then fast forward to when i had my baby last year my mental health deteriorated again worse than before but initially took a few months to be taken seriously as it is common to get 'baby blues' due to the hormones and then i had mental health people arrive on my door step and i didn't know what was going to happen and thought they were going to take my baby off of me. Again i was assessed but not enough of an emergency to be hospitalised just enough that i would have access to short term intensive in home support which was mostly useless due to Covid-19 then as I was 'able' to return to work (I had no choice due to finances but lucky I didn't lose my job because I wasn't really functioning or efficient at that point in time compared to before i had the baby)

Anyhow I've been  discharged from the inhome support and as i didn't ring up the mental health team for any issues / crises they are looking at discharging me from mental health services altogether.

I know that I'm not alright i know that I am not better. the only thing i can do is 'tend' to my baby and go to work however I cannot seem to be able to do any housework, haven't been able to co-ordinate anything to cook family meals for evening, lucky to eat or drink anything myself, forget most things, lose track of time, just realised today that I haven't taken any medications for perhaps a month, the other week realised that I hadn't put availability into work and hadn't worked for almost the same period of time and i am just out of it almost all the time. i don't do any kind of drugs or drink alcohol so I'm not high or drunk

i tend to my baby's basic needs but don't have the energy or focus to interact or play with her i just end up giving her jar food, breast milk or formula and then she spends most of her time in front of the tv.

in case you haven't guessed already I have no idea if any of this is a sign of a mental health emergency or not as auditory and visual hallucinations weren't classified as one previously in addition to the above symptoms mentioned and others not mentioned.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: most likely a stupid question but how do you know if you are having a mental health emergency?

Hi @unsure2021

I feel for what you are experiencing, especially you reaching out to be healthier of mind and functioning better but finding not enough support.

Perhaps the first thing would be to restart the medications. I deteriorate a lot if I stop taking mine. I struggle a lot ongoing with some of what is happening with you at this time: cooking, sleeping way too much, hygiene, motivation, memory problems, etc. I also get high periods as I have bipolar. Big difference is I don't have children. Feeling for you.

I do not know what treatment you may be getting through mental health, guessing maybe sessions with a psychiatrist/psychologist. If they are withdrawing that you may well be able to access it through your/a GP. Wondering too if you have a social worker. 

Your situation to me sounds in a way like an emergency, or it could be something that could be helped if you can find more support. It's possible there may be other organisations that could give support to you. I am thinking of @Neami, who I think may give some help to women like you with post natal depression.

This will sound really weird, but if you can get on Google and do some searches, there may be something to find there. Could be worth seeing if your local council has any community programs. My GP has helped find a support organisation for me. 

Really hoping you find support to help you move out of this depression. You are always welcome here at the forum. Many of us have benefited a lot from being here.

Re: most likely a stupid question but how do you know if you are having a mental health emergency?

@Mazarita @unsure2021 

This sounds like an emergency if you are having visual and auditory hallucinations. If you are having these hallucinations I would suggest that you dial 000 for you and your baby's safety.

I would suggest reaching out to supports like PANDA that can help with preinatal depression and anxiety. https://www.panda.org.au

I'm not sure what other supports you have but as @Mazarita has mentioned linking in with a psychologist and psychiatrist and perhaps look at some strategies and options around medication and how to cope with raising your baby.

Are there any family that can support you and your baby whilst you are going through this challenging time? 

Have you considered making lists to remind you of things that you need to do.

I can only imagine how challenging it must be for you in raising and taking care of your baby and dealing with mental health challenges.

Hi @unsure2021  i can feel your pain. I've been in a similar situation except I did have mental health issues before pregnancy and I have a private therapist. To no honest I found the public systems definition of 'crisis' is whether or not someone might be seriously injured or die. This year with Covid there are Medicare rebates for up to 20 sessions if you get a referral from your GP.

I don't know what state you're in but also in QLD we have this referral kinds of service that's job it is to link struggling families in to support. You can find them googling Family and Cjild Connect. If you're not in qld maybe your state has something similar. 

Do you have any family or friends for support?

Keep posting here too. Everyone is so supportive and there are so many who have had similar experiences. 

Hi @unsure2021 

I'm so sorry to read about the incredibly difficult situation you're going through right now. I can feel your pain and frustration at not getting the help you need.

It sounds like you're having a really hard time with your mental health. Maybe you would benefit from SANE support services.

Thinking of you and sending strength your way,

Rosie93

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance