Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

nightwing81
Casual Contributor

living with anxiety

Hi all!

Im new here! Ive been living with anxiety for a long time. At my worst I couldnt go out in public because it used to make me physically sick. Ive been seeing a psychologist for about 6 years now and hes been great. My anxiety is sorta under control but because my mum is not well im always constantly worrying about her and her illness and that always sets me off.

Im trying to make a lifestyle change and that makes me anxious.I want to move to an apartment complex so i can meet people and make new friends since ive been alone for a long time. I find it hard to meet new people because i get nervous and im not good at breaking the ice especially with women.

Im hoping to chat to people who are in a similar situation as me so we can share stories and tips on how to manage anxiety.

Hope to hear from you soon!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: living with anxiety

Hi @nightwing81 welcome to the forum. Smiley Happy

Many if not most of us here experience anxiety, including me. I too struggle at different times and intensities with getting out of the home. I wonder if some kinds of groups around one or more of your interests could be a way for you to meet people and make new friends. Groups can be good as they bring together people with common interests.

For managing anxiety, I find different things can help at different times. Meditation on the breath is sometimes very helpful for me. Getting into nature helps me a lot, walking in parks, on the beach, wherever I can find a place to do this. Guessing your psychologist may have suggested quite a few things to you like this already.

It's so great you have made progress over the past six years with your psychologist. Smiley Happy

I do a yoga class and boxercise at my local community college - it helps me with my anxiety and it lets me meet people socially. One of the older gents in the boxercise class pulls his punches for me. 🙂 In yoga, particularly, you'd meet a lot of women - have you considered taking a class?

Hi there! 

Thanks for the advice.  I've tried meditation but I find it difficult to focus because my mind doesn't stop racing.  I do like going for walks amongst nature and the beach,  I should do that more often. I should give that group thing a try. Its just that I'm shy and I have trouble breaking the ice. Another thing I should practice. 

Thanks for the support! 

I've never done yoga before.  Boxing sounds interesting,  could be a good way relieve tension. Maybe I should give it try.

Thanks!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance