Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

CogitoErgoSum
New Contributor

living life with Schizophrenia ( age 17 > 35 ) My story !

Everything went dull and my mind became a race of thoughts. At first I could notice the difference my mind was loud and dis-orientated trying to listen to my conscious. Though I wouldn’t or couldn’t find the heart to explain or express to close ones around me early year 12.  What was happening was so surreal then and it was very difficult to bring myself to terms with. So I pushed on through the year as what I believed seemed normal. A graduation and whole skip- year prevailed abroad!

I was entering what was supposed to be the greatest years of my life. Then at age  19 I was prescribed anti-psychotic medication from a G.P.  With robust influence from social-experimentation earlier in my life was transitioning into a possible relapse of futuristic ideologies of our planet and oneself and other around me.

One ideology involved many delusional some to real either way my thoughts throughout my skip year and post arrival home were dis-rupted. One voice sunk in deep that my emancipation and the space of reality after travelling abroad 17 countries independently was and did hurt everywhere ( mind , body , soul ) on return and then sadness and more frequent racing thoughts made myself vulnerable to psychosis. And which in order to take control of the situation I needed to take the medication. At first my symptoms were getting worse (progressively and unknowingly) the medication was mandatory.

I left home and stayed with parents out of NSW and into the state of Qld and into a mining town MT Isa  I later then gained work into a mining related industry or company and processed and manufactured Copper-sulphate (a reagent used in lead/zinc concentration plants) . Coogee Chemicals.

I worked alongside battling this whole new illness, medication and a two live tale situations ( of work then  my hidden illness or symptoms)  in perception of grasping onto real life situations for work safety and also to hide from colleagues my voices and paranoia and not noticing the unknown to spark investigation or potentially I long lived the worry id be fired if they found out. , hidden thoughts and the un diagnosed illness I began restructuring, blocking the continuous thoughts which could easily take over without medication.

Later on 4 years after I became a an excellent chemical process operator and was happy though deeply lost, sedated and even though I was a fulltime employee for a chemical company. I was quickly depressed and sunken to previous negative emotional ROLLERCOASTER OF THOUGHTS via a sudden redundancy to a company I was proud, passionate and happy to be a team process-control room operator for 4 years.

Days passed without sleep and then I awoke in a mental hospital residing there for around 7 – 8 weeks.

Diagnosed with schizophrenia then there at 23 , my life had its hurdle which I was set to conquer . I had initial denial; quite normal I believe as I too once when younger was normal and remembered the stigma understood around the word publicly! Was very difficult to admit and move one from hearing and finding out. Still always took my medication. 

I was stabilised and amongst a carer (my parents at the time) and later  I was out of hospital and really focused long term. I was engaged within 6months and then married to my Now wife of ten years of two beautiful children a little over a year later on and on.

Life threw me giant hurdles, except I couldn’t give in! I felt “I can and I will” conquer these new thoughts. Before marriage I was working again for a mining company ( Xstrata- Glencore) ironically (lead –zinc concentrator-copper sulphate). 4 years on after I left towards WA with my family to work for Coogee Chemicals again for another 4 years , another redundancy later and again 8 months after BGC plasterboards process work. Life was beginning to catch up, I was bankrupt, depressed and really struggling in what was around 12 years of fulltime shift –work and working alongside my mental illness . 

Now these days living in my own home due to a total and permanent disability, I am 35 worked for some big companies and lived a very for-filling life to date! I am so blessed to be able to have lived to tell this real story that I conquered. As an operator for a dangerous good facility and mining minerals this became my education, training and experience in which I am unable I feel to continue due to the sheer danger I could be surrounded by.

I am still learning to train my brain and believe regular methods of breathing and social interaction is the key to thinking positive alongside generous activities which I find time to play a game of golf .

For some people choose solitaire or mine sweep. I designed a multiplication method which works from left to right and numbers to me are training memory and focus. I have withdrawn from mathematical thinking course (introduction to calculus) since stopped work I have more passion to spread integrity, and am genuinely compassionate for fixing the stigma with schizophrenia as someone who knows firsthand how it is to live with it and how others see it are two very different perspectives.

More so now my doctor or G.P has advised myself if I could be helping out with this knowledge I have learned through out half my life living with schizophrenia. I’d love nothing more than to be ambassador of schizophrenia and pursue counselling today’s youth by ensuring anyone with symptoms to speak-up , and pin point the problem as early as possible. And always take your medication. Can understand it’s a lengthy process being diagnosed. Well worth it .

There are measures of care here and support everywhere these days I just would love nothing more than being able to help and be a part of a program. To help all those in-needs by helping back to community is the only way I can give back.

joel

5 REPLIES 5

Re: living life with Schizophrenia ( age 17 > 35 ) My story !

Wow, that's amazing! Have you considered going to TAFE and studying a diploma of mental health? That could open up some doors for you in terms of getting you out there and being a schizophrenia ambassador. Lovely to meet you!

Hello and welcome to the forum @CogitoErgoSum  what a great read!  You've got this and ican see why you would like to take up the challenge to help others. 👏👏

please read the guidelines first as we are to remain anonymous. If you type the @ symbol it will bring up a drop down box and you can tag people like I tagged you.

take care and thank you for your introduction.

always-hope

thankyou and i am looking towards these options.

I'm not on the best night to read

at length.But I hear you @CogitoErgoSum 

Wow.

Most people with this diagnosis I know of

are intelligent individuals.

Without speaking to you much. I

sense this has been a long road to

understand.

Schitzophrenia runs in my family line dating

back.

I question my own paranoia etc.

Ive not been hospitalised yet sometimes well friends online have advised me.

Not online here.

I love that you wrote your story/ well done.

It takes bravery.

But for one thing I notice most with this diagnosis are. Brave. Its

just different. Hope to keep in touch. Welcome to us all here. ❤️✋🏼

Hi and welcome to the forum @CogitoErgoSum 

It is nice to meet you 

Thank you for sharing your story

Hope your journey forward brings you peace and comfort to you

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance