Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Migaloo
New Contributor

Struggling with the loneliness of caring

Hi there,

I am supporting my husband of 26years who has been newly diagnosed with bipolar2. He has only just been put on a mood stabiliser and i am hoping this will make the difference. The loneliness of this situation is at times overwhelming. It feels as if he has vanished from the relationship at times. Currently he is in a low phase and has literally been asleep for 2 days. We have a close relationship so this is gruelling because one minute he is here and the next he is not. I try really hard to maintain a positive attitude but am struggling at the moment. I know things could be worse. Just need a place to have the occasional vent. Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Struggling with the loneliness of caring

Hi @Migaloo.

Welcome to the SANE Forum, this is definetly the place to get carers support and ideas for looking after yourself.  It is very understandable that you are finding the situation difficult and at times uncertain, with your partner's early diagnosis of Bi-polar 2. I can imagine how frustrating this is for you. There are resources where you can access any relevant topic queries you may have, on the right hand side of the  forum home page.  Additionally, there are many others there to provide support and insights, all you need do is ask. 

Wishing you all the best. 

RoadRunner

Hi @Migaloo and welcome to the best place to have a vent and find emotional support from people who totally get it!

With the new meds, you have to be patient and it might take several goes to get the dosage right, but it should eventually make a big difference.

It's impossible to stay positive all the time and I've found a lot of comfort here.

regards,

S

@SJT63

"It's impossible to stay positive all the time"

Seems obvious when you put it like that but a real nice reminder.

hello and welcome to the forum @Migaloo 

sending you understanding hugs as my husband has been diagnosised with Bipolar2 and other diagnosis

my husband is on anti depressants and anti anxiety meds to help him , we still have lots of ups and downs every day 

here is a few threads for you to click onto 

Carers Hints and tips to Success 

My life partner has Bipolar ii 

and Ups and Downs of Husband`s Mental Illness 

it takes time to adjust to any medication and also 

also will tag @Sophie1 

how are you going today 

Welcome here @Migaloo. Thank you for sharing of your story and the challenges at hand for you. I can only imagine how hard this journey has been for you. I too hold some hope that new meds will help support your husband.

@MigalooHi, it takes time. I'm struggling as well with the loneliness. My husband 66 yrs old and my best friend has been so unwell for 3 yrs and every friendship and most family have fallen away never to be seen again. MI destroys everything in its path I also am a positive person sometimes I'm empty.
I take great comfort in this forum from time to time and at the moment am in great need of just a place to type my words and make it real not lost.

It's hard coming to terms with myself. "I MATTER" but I'm not sure how to find me again. Quietly sitting in the front yard playing frisbee with the dog is the best I can do today. But for a little while it helped. 

I wish you well and all the best. 
Early Spring would be nice. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance