Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Hannahbanana98
New Contributor

Public system

So over the public system denying any help mostly talking about the hospitals they blankly refuse it's so messed up and you're lucky if you get a public therapist for a year that knows what they're doing it's gotten so bad I've started lying about my bpd diagnosis so they'll take me seriously so over the stigma I'm here and suffering why can't you help me like everyone else??

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Public system

Hi @Hannahbanana98 , BPD is unfortunately highly stigmatised, when there is a lot of crossover with it and complex PTSD. @Bow and @BPDSurvivor might have something to contribute here with getting good help.

Thanks @Gwynn and hi @Hannahbanana98  and perhaps welcome? Not sure I've seen you around before. I read your post earlier this morning and wanted to reply but just couldn't. Just been for a walk and feel a little more awake now.

i too have BPD, diagnosis some 15+ yrs ago and confirmed recently that I still have or perhaps has resurfaced after having a good 10 or so years with no real symptoms. Trauma does all sorts to us!

I have found in recently months that yes, it is difficult to find the right help when you have BPD. It is often misunderstood and as you have said there can be a terrible stigma associated with it. That we are just after attention, the constant not her again attitudes from nursing staff. It's a hard road. I found that community mental health teams were unwilling to help me long term, just a home visit and a phone call and then they would discharge me from their service only to be rereferred a short time later. I began to think that unless I ended up with a proper psych ward admission there wasn't much they would be willing to do and I did not want a psych ward admission. 
they did however give me details for the PHN- primary health network. I have managed to book an appointment with a psychiatrist through then, a mental health nurse too and I have a psychologist through a mental health plan. Not sure if the PHN is an option for you? Do you have a mental health plan from your gp? 
I'm sure @BPDSurvivor will have much more to add!

Hi @Hannahbanana98 ,

Thank you for your post. BPD is not a very popular diagnosis in the public system - it sure does have a stigma attached to it! 

Unlike your experience of the public sector (and probably most people), I have had an amazing support team spanning over about 5 years in the public system for my BPD. 

I couldn't not get any help when I was living in Sydney (also probably I wasn't ready for help) where I was diagnosed with BPD in my late teens. I moved to Melb and continued my BPD struggle. After enquiring at private clinics, I was deemed too risky to accept. In 2016, I was accepted into Spectrum (public) and completed just over two years with them. At the same time, I had an area mental health treating team supporting me on a weekly basis. On completion of MBT at Spectrum, I stayed with my area mental health for another 2.5-3 years. I was only discharged from them in Feb this year. I still have a psychosocial worker (public system again) who I have regular contact with.

I have been an extremely lucky one. All in all, this year is the first time I've needed a mental health care plan to see my private psychologist (approx every 2-3 weeks, and even then, I don't pay anything out of pocket). I've followed this private psychologist from the public system because he works in both public and private. 

So I guess you can say that there IS help out there? It's about where to find it. 

Even then, I've had private health cover my entire life, but have not yet used anything for mental health. However, I have a limited amount for MH services.

In the public system, I have felt cared for, looked after, supported, provided individualised support, I'm not a number....if it wasn't for them, I doubt I would be here to tell my story.

Im so sorry to hear @Hannahbanana98  you are in the same boat as many others with BPD. I guess it's about reaching out to as many resources as possible until you find the help you need.

Regards, 

BPDSurvivor

@Bow @Gwynn 

I hear you. I don’t have BPD but It’s like this with schizophrenia as well. I’ve had bulk billing GP’s, work psychologist turn me away because of my diagnosis. The hospitals don’t want to deal with you unless you are actively trying to unalive yourself or someone else. I had an episode 2 months ago and my psychiatrist wanted to admit me due to being so bad but the hospital turned me away and this was with a doctor saying I needed to go in.

Seems like Medicare only covers the dying these days with all the cost cutting.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance