Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Fallen-Cracks
Casual Contributor

Nowhere to turn.

Hi people, 1st post & I'm sure this won't make any forum. As a child I was put into a adult mental institution & sexually & physically assaulted. This has haunted me for many decades, but maybe even worse now is that I have diabetes & haven't seen a doctor in over 17 months. My distrust in doctors over the decades has continued since a child. Unfortunately I have many more problems but they can wait for another time. I know & realise that people won't believe this story, but just maybe someone has advice or help.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Nowhere to turn.

Hi I believe your story . I am new online so I hope you see my reply . Do you have any one that can go with to a doctor so you can get a check for your diabetes . So there is someone to support you.  

Unfortunately there's not at the moment, trying to find a new doctor as well doesnt help, but still looking for a good one.

Hi @Fallen-Cracks and @Summer5 - welcome both to the forums Smiley Very Happy

@Fallen-Cracks You will find so many people here with similar stories and life journeys. Whilst we are all different and have our own unique experiences, it is certainly a place where we all have our own stories to tell and our own experiences to deal with - so you will not only be believed but supported by people that get it and can empathise. Despite what has brought you here it is good that you have found us and I hope you find the care and support that you deserve.

Thanks for the support zoe7

@Fallen-Cracks 

Welcome to the forum

I am so sorry to hear  what has happen to you and yes we do believe you. Everyone here has there unquie story and we try our best to understand and support each other through our journeys to a brighter and happier future.But many us share silimar experiences and have trust issues too. You're not alone and reaching out for help- it is brave to do so. 

If you type @ drop box will appear and you can tag us or alternatively type @ and type in members if you want to tag them in the post. 

I would suggest to take things slowly and get to know people slowly. And I hope you can get to a Dr soon to have a health check. And not sure if you have heard of this test - HbA1c blood test (diabetes). 

Hi @Fallen-Cracks 

I just wanted to reach out and welcome you to the forums - it’s great to have you here Smiley Happy

I absolutely believe the parts of your story that you shared with us Heart

I’m so very sorry to hear that as a child you were placed into an adult mental health institution and that those who were meant to care for you hurt you in the most unimaginable ways Smiley Sad I can’t even begin to imagine your experiences Smiley Sad

Your story is really important too Heart and I just wanted to ever so gently encourage you to continue to reach out as often as you need. Nothing is too big or too small and you’re more than welcome to share whatever feels comfortable for you. There’s absolutely no pressure or expectation in terms of what you share or when (as long as what we do share adheres to the community guidelines Smiley Happy)

Also, when I was new to the forums and still learning the ropes, one of the things that helped me to join in the conversations, was that if you place @ in front of a person’s name (just like I did for you at the very start of my message) they will receive a notification that you have contacted / replied to them Smiley Happy

Towards the end of your message you shared that ‘maybe someone has some help or advice’ and I just wondered if there was anything in particular that you would find helpful at this time?

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums Smiley Happy

Take care of yourself,

ShiningStar Heart

Hi there, I've had the same experience with being abused and institutionalised as a child and adult. I cope with the memories I've blocked by taking one day at a time. Even though I'm threatened by psychiatry to this day, I take solace in the fact that I'm performing at my very best, and that no one can bring me down from this belief. I'm very spiritual and believe that I'm taken care of by Spirit and other spiritual leaders. Also, I now must be less submissive and work on being assertive. Doctors look after themselves as well as their patients. I gauge them on a neutral tier- it helps to realise that they are not perfect, no one is. I'm actually saddened by the lack of professionalism in authoritarian figures overall- but I can't throw stones, I have my foibles too. 
This is my first post and I'm finding it very cathartic, cleansing. Think, in ten years time, I will cope better- time heals. X x

@Fallen-Cracks  I believe you and am listening! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance