Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Former-Member
Not applicable

New member - have been searching for childhood trauma support group or buddy online

Hi all,

I've been searching for a childhood trauma support group that operates online (as in Vic) that operates online - via zoom for example or "buddies" to connect with via email, phone, zoom, forums also but really to talk to in real time, if that makes sense.

So far, haven't had any luck. (Have done 2 general anxiety zoom groups through arcvic, mostly to talk to people/see faces, I don't have that specific diagnosis, but I'm specifically looking for something like a support group or buddy..even considered today if I should just make flyers and try to start my own but hadn't realised arvic had forums so if anyone is interested in setting something up or chatting in any form, that would be great.)

So as a bit of background, I never saw anyone about my childhood trauma and had really pushed it aside - very long story short had a panic attack at work start of the year (then went on sick leave and lost the job) and around maybe April started seeing a mental health nurse and it's been really helpful to talk about it and realise how the dots connect and how much talking and reaching out is helpful for me but my "free" appointments with her have run out and I can't afford to go weekly anymore, just every third week.

I am extremely isolated, as in have 2 people that I talk to in general besides gp and mental health nurse, don't have a job or social network and right now just sitting at home stressing cos I listened to this anxiety talk that mentioned anxiety is linked to values - my values would absolutely include having a sense of community and connections, meaningful conversations...the opposite of sitting alone in my bedroom considering how I've basically gone the opposite way of pursuing those things by being really silent, withdrawn and self-isolating...

so, bit long-winded, but if anyone responds at all that would be really appreciated

4 REPLIES 4

Re: New member - have been searching for childhood trauma support group or buddy online

Hey @Former-Member, 

I'm located in Vic aswell, I use the blue knot helpline for my childhood trauma and then with ArcVic I have been put on a program for 3 times a week according to your needs. The program is CARES4Me. You can ring the ArcVic helpline and ask for the coordinator who is running it to contact you about it! 
The program is well worth it you get allocated a volunteer for your sessions and they work with you on what you need in a session. 

I suffer from severe anxitey & depression and several other Mental illnesses. 

But I'm currently unwell so I haven't really been doing much or seeing any of my Mental health team due to me having to get a ECG monitor for the week.

I'm here for you if you ever need a chat! 

Take care🌷🐣

Re: New member - have been searching for childhood trauma support group or buddy online

Hi!

Thanks so much for responding, really wasn't expecting such a quick response or sure how active these forums are...that is really great that the Cares4Me program can be that frequent and regular, I had emailed about it but then I sort of gave up by the time they phoned (sorry to whoever phoned me!) because I just felt overwhelmed by everything. It is really helpful for me to have structure like a set time/day for example, because it helps me feel safe I think when it's predictable.

I have spoken to Blue Knot Foundation also but until I realised to look for forums or support groups, I didn't find phoning a helpline at the time I was feeling anxious etc was something I was able to push myself to do - but phoning when I'm not feeling that way in the moment might be a good idea.

Sorry to hear that you're not well, I definetly appreciate you taking the time to write.

Hi and welcome, @Former-Member , it's good you've joined, where people can understand what you're going through. 

Unfortunately we're not allowed to recommend specific offline support groups, due to the anonymity rule of the forums here. However, there are many members here with childhood trauma, so you can get some peer support here on the forums - which I know is not quite what you're looking for, but may be something.

@Former-Member wrote:

...my values would absolutely include having a sense of community and connections, meaningful conversations...the opposite of sitting alone in my bedroom considering how I've basically gone the opposite way of pursuing those things by being really silent, withdrawn and self-isolating...

The forums here can definitely provide a sense of community and connection, if you'll give them a go. You can type any subject into the search bar to find threads on that topic. You can also join in on some of our more social threads, and get to know people, such as Good Morning!  (and more social threads can be found in the Social Spaces  section). 

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a member's name in the drop-down box, that member will get a notification that you've replied to them. 

I hope you find what you're looking for, @Former-Member .

Hi @Former-Member 

I am new here as well and only just started working through my childhood trauma after realising that my random moods and extreme triggers can not be helped with mindfulness, self talk and talking it out. 
I stumbled upon this site and joined up because I'd like to chat about what I go through with others who 'get it'. 
I'm happy to chat to you if you like. I'll probably get online here once a day or when I'm going through some really rough stuff. 
most of my early childhood trauma was between 18 months - 3 1/2. More and more memories have been opening up to me in the last 4 years. 
I do have a great psychologist who's expertise is trauma. I hope you have a good psychologist as well. 
Have a happy day 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance