Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Dove2
Casual Contributor

Need to vent

First time posting I am the mother of a lovely 41yo woman who has Downs Syndrome. Sadly she was rapped approx 7 years ago by a male carer whilst she was in respite. And now since about November 2020, she is suffering from psychosis. We believe that the psychosis relates to the trauma she endured. My frustration is with getting approiate support for her, so far she has seen 3 different psychiartris, they only see her every 4 or 5 weeks, her case manager a social worker, talks the talk but doesn't follow through, so bloody frustrating when she doesn't return your call or ring when she says she is going to. My daughter doesn't see her current psych.for 2 weeks, however I do like him and he said he will be around for about 6 months which is helpful. Due to her cognitive ability I feel she would do better with consistency. I am also very concerned about what the medication is doing to her, it's turning her into a bloody zombie.but I feel the meds will have to be increased because the auditory hallucinations are still pretty prominent. Breaks my heart she is losing her spark. I'm feeling overwhelmed sad frustrated angry and helpless. The mental health system is not easy to navigate. I have a lot of other stuff on my plate as well, but maybe that's for another time. I guess I'd really like to hear from someone who is or has experienced something similar. Vent over Thankyou for listening 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Need to vent

@Dove2  Hi Dove2 and welcome to the forums I wish it could be under better circumstances for you. I have an adult autistic, epiletic son2 who also has schizophrenia. My son2 has had some dodgy dealings with carers (thankfully he is verbal and was able to tell me what had happened to him). I must say nothing sexually but taking advantage of him none-the-less.  I only have one or two that I trust with him now. He has a good psychiatrist who he likes and a good psychologist too who he has a great rapor with.  He is on anti psychotics and mood stabilizers and anti epileptic meds. Give them time to work as it can take months for the meds to work properly. I am so sorry this has happened to your daughter and is one of my worst nightmares to be honest.

If you want to talk to me or others put a @ in front of their name like I did for you and they will get a notification of your post. Take care. greenpeaxx

@greenpea  thankyou for responding, I also have a brother who suffered from epilepsy, Tonic Clinic seizures, he had surgery to stop the seizures in 2010, he now suffers from paronia and psychosis so I am assuming that the damage to his brain from his epilepsy and possibly his medications brought it on. I also have 2 Grandsons on the ASD spectrum, they also have serious heart conditions, they have had 5 open heart surgeries between them along with plenty of other procedures. I think it's great your son is getting great support from his mental health team. I do realise it will take time to get my daughter's medications right. But when she looks at me and says I want it to stop, I feel so helpless. I just try and reassure her that we are all helping her and it will get better. I am preserving with the public system for now as I was told that was the best way to go, but I may look at going private for more consistency for her. I find our sessions I do most of the talking because she is scared and unsure, so she doesn't say much hopefully that will improve. I did contact a development psychologist I took her to after her rape, however she is not taking on clients at the moment. Like you her being rapped was my worst nightmare, it has changed me I will never be the same so I can only begin to imagine what it has done to her, and we are seeing the result now😭 We reported it to the police, he wasn't charged because it came down to her word against his. Even though the police believed her, everyone did, infact I've never doubted her. There is no justice. I have an appointment coming up with one of the commissioners, from the Royal Commission into abuse in care. Hopefully from that there will be more safeguards in place for the future. I am terrified of what will happen to her when I die or am no longer able to look after her. She will end up in a system that I no longer trust. There are family members who will look out for her but it's not the same.  Thankyou again it does help knowing I'm not alone. Dove2

@Dove2  yes my and my ex both dread the thought of what will happen to my son2 when we both die.  I dont trust the system either. I am always here if you need someone to talk to. Love to you. peaxxx

@Dove2 

Hello Dove2

I was saddened by your comments and wish I could give you and your family a hug.

I really dislike our Judicial System and I really dislike the treatment some elderly and disabled people receive whilst in care. I can't even imagine what your feeling or even what your daughter is experiencing. A lot needs to be improved in the caring sector and I really hope it happens soon.

Heart

Thankyou for your support it really means a lot. I am also hoping to see big changes coming from the Royal Commission. However I didn't think we needed a Royal Commission into aged care because everyone already knew how dire things were with aged care. In my meeting with one of the commissioners, I'll be saying that I would like to see camera's in all facilities caring for all our most vulnerable, the aged the disabled and children. I have other ideas as well. Especially the rights of the disabled and their parents or primary carers. The hoops I had to jump through to get information was insane, and their constant excuse, well she is an adult and the information you are seeking is very sensitive.😡🤬 Although if they wanted information they asked me, pretty hippocritical. Anyway we certainly have been through the ringer, I felt that my.daughter was raped, and her and I were being continually assaulted by a system that just wanted it to go away. I will continue fighting for her, because I have to, and ofcourse love her dearly. Take Care

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance