Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Beads
Contributor

Introduction

Hello. I am new. I was wondering if this is for younger people. When you get to be older, retirement age, I get the impression that society thinks you should have it all together and you become a bit invisible. I have had Dysthemia for a long time with a few bouts of major depression over the decades, then in between things can be peaceful and positive for a while. I'm kind of resigned to the idea that this is as good as it gets.

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Introduction

Many of us are seniors @Beads and I would like to welcome you to the forum and I hope you are comfortable here with like-minded people 

Invisible  - um yes  - it can happen  - younger people can be brash  - it depends on the circumstances of  course but we can speak out for ourselves and so I do and I am noticed  - it's not easy but worth the effort 

I don't know if what you have now is as good as it gets - it depends on mary things  - old age has hurdles that are both challenging and interesting  - I find I care less about what others might be thinking and take them as people who are unique and suffer something too  - life's not easy if it's worth living

I'm glad you have found us and reach out

Dec

Hi and welcome, @Beads , it's good to have you here. 

A lot of us here aren't young any more! (I'm 50) I hope you will feel comfortable here. 

Many of us have serious depression, so we can empathise with you. 

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply. 

I hope you find the forums supportive. 

Welcome to the forums @Beads  There are quite a few of us here who are senior citizens and still struggling with our mental health.

I hope you find support,

💖

Peri
Senior Contributor

Hello @Beads ,

yes, there are lots of us older people here I am past retirement age, 70, but I don’t think I am in my head.

i haven’t got it all together, I suppose a lot of people think that you should have, living easy on loads of super. Well that is not me.  I think some of the most challenging years are now and what is to come.   I no longer have a career, my children have grown and one lives overseas. 

I am constantly wondering what the purpose of this end of life is.  

Depression has been a part of my life since I was young and now I also get severe anxiety.

But this forum is very supportive. And some of the people who have responded to you are the best. 

So keep coming and tell us the things that bother you.   @Eve7 @Owlunar @NatureLover 

Peri

Hi @Beads !Smiley Happy

I just wanted to add my voice of welcome to the others here. Smiley Happy As you've no doubt gathered by now, these forums encompass the full age range, so don't be put off if your older. This is a very welcoming place.Smiley Happy

Hello @Beads and welcome 

we have many ages here , from early 20`s and beyond 

@outlander@Eden1919@MDT are younger 

and having the wisdom of our older members are helpful too 

like @NatureLover@Eve7@Peri@chibam 

if you have any questions we are all here to help you 

Carlo
Senior Contributor

I'd rather not think of myself as "old" @Beads, but I'm not young.

Many of us have the wisdom of years, yet we still niave when it comes to some matters.  Life long learning I hope.

Welcome

Very true @Carlo 

How old are you xx

I am 57 

Hey @Beads
Its for anyone on this journey called life.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance