Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

JB73
New Contributor

How can we support our 19 yr old son with psychosis?

Hi 

Our 19 yr old son has been diagnosed with psychosis - 4 months ago.

He initially engaged with the psychosis clinic. He did not want us attending the appointments and the Dr's were unable to provide us with the actual diagnosis etc unless our son consents, of which he won't. 

Thankfully he has been engaging with us to a degree and has recently agreed to re start his medications again as it was clear the symptoms were spiralling. He was struggling with the intensity and volume of multiple derogatory voices again. In addition he has developed OCD behaviours around dental / oral health and will often be unable to speak clearly as a result.

Sadly, the clinic did not provide us as parents any support. I requested assistance but he was described as being 'ambivalent' about attending his appointments and now has had no contact with them for about a month. In my mind of course he is 'ambivalent'!! He is unwell and 19!!

Does anyone have any advice on how best to support him, how to guide him towards accepting professional help again?

thank you - any advice would be so welcomed

5 REPLIES 5

Re: How can we support our 19 yr old son with psychosis?

Hey there @JB73 , firstly, welcome to the carers, family and friends forum ❤️ I hope you find it a really supportive community 😊 

It sounds like there have been a lot of changes for you the last few months and that you're worried about you son not going to some of the treatment. It's really clear that you care about him so much and want his voices to have less impact on his life. 

I wonder what kind of things worked when he was younger? I think from my own experience, when I stopped wanting to go to therapy, it was usually because something didn't fit right or I had a less-than-ideal experience. I wonder if you've spoken to him much about his experiences so far or why he isn't attending much? 

I thought I'd also tag some of our wonderful carers to see if they have any wisdom for supporting family to go attend/access professional support. @Determined @tired_sisyphus @maddison @Shaz51 @Faith-and-Hope @ExhaustedCarer if you feel up for sharing ❤️ 

Here are some other resources which might be useful

Is there anything in here which feel useful?

Hey @JB73 Welcome to the forums. 

This must be really a really frightening and stressful time for you 💛

I'm going to tag @Anastasia as she may have some ideas. 

If you feel the need to reach out to a counsellor to chat, the SANE helpline is open 10am-10pm. 

Ph: 1800 187 263

All the best for you and your Son.

Hi @JB73 👋

I don’t have experience in this area other than a couple of moments of dissociation by ex.  Just wanted to welcome you to the forums though, and hopefully someone will be along soon who can be a bit more helpful 😏

One thing I do know is that it is important to invest in self care as a carer - putting your own oxygen mask on first.  Carer burnout is a real thing, and self care is both a preventative and an antidote.

Best wishes -

F&H 🌷

Firstly, this is so tough and you’re doing so well to get through this and be a pillar of strength and support for your son. 

i don’t have experience in this particular area. However, I have supported a very avoidant family member who eschews mental health help and support and another family member who is on and off a merry go-round of alcohol use disorder treatment support. 

my main insight is that- it’s a long haul and it can often feel like you’re getting nowhere and the person you’re supporting isn’t engaging *but* (in my experience) there are always, always windows of opportunity and insight. Even when it feels like you’re pushing shit up hill- you’re showing your son you care and you’re a stable and present support person. When/if (and again I’m sorry I have no experience with his mental health condition) he has moments of wanting to be proactive about his needs and reaching out for support, he knows who to turn to. In all the avoidance, reluctance and resistance to support/treatment I’ve seen firsthand, if someone knows where to turn to and who can/will help them when they have their moments of wanting it, it can make all this effort worthwhile. 

sorry for not having practical advice/insight, but just wanting to share that even when it feels hard- all your support will always mean something. 

hey @JB73, welcome to the forum. I care for someone with mental distress and trauma, and this has been a very supportive environment of people who get it. I'm sure you'll get the support you need.

Sorry I dno't have practical things for you as I'm not versed in that area; having said that the fact that your son has been engaging to a degree is a good start. My loved one also does not want to entertain professional help (mainly due to past detrimental clinical relationships). But it was an opportunity for me to equip myself to be a better carer, both in terms of helping my loved one as well as better self-care. Cant' care for anyone if you break down.

All the best here, thinking of what you're going through.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance