Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

HenryX
Community Guide

Food and Beverage Choices for Improved Physical and Psychological Health. {Please keep on Topic}.

Hello to members who have been active in “Henry's Landing Strip and Hangar” thread. I have started this thread on healthy food and drink choices and wanted to invite you, and other members, to have a look and participate if the topic and content might interest you.

None of the information, that is posted on the thread, should be considered or applied as if it were medical advice.

All the links in this post are active and are accessible directly by clicking the link.

@Emelia8, @Anastasia , @Appleblossom , @Former-Member , @Mazarita , @Clawde , @Rosemary4 , @Snowie , @Oaktree , @StuF , @Jo-anneJoy , @AussieRecharger , @Former-Member , @wellwellwellnez , @CrazyChick , @Adge , @Bill16 , @Meowmy , @Alicat , @greenpea , @eth , @Gwynn , @outlander , @Rhye , @Peri , @Determined , @Smc , @nony , @Faith-and-Hope , @BlueBay , @BPDSurvivor , @Tinker67 , @TAB , @Flying_Hams , @Dimity , @CapnWannabe , @Paperdaisy , @Exoplanet , @Jacques , @Sophia1 , @Lise07 , @utopia , @Shaz51 , @frog , @Owlunar , @WIP , @Ant7 , @Eve7 , @Judi9877 , @oceangirl , @jem80 , @Zoe7 , @TheVorticon , @Daisydreamer , @wild_rose , @still_bookish , @chibam , @cloudcore , @flybluebird , @Jynx , @TideisTurning , @InfiniteStress , @EssJay 

I would like the thread to develop with Australian input, information and personal reflections. The following site, though, is one that I have been interested in for a while and thought that it would make a good starting point. Many of the ideas presented by Melissa Norris, who has an engaging and informative style, are easily transferable to the various different environments around Australia. She lives near Seattle on the North-West coast of the USA, just South of Vancouver, Canada. I find that I have to take Melissa in short bursts, because she packs a lot of information into her presentations. She appears to be both genuine and also practical in her application of the principles by which she lives and that she conveys to others. We don't all live in the same type of environments or with the same resources, but I hope that the thread allows us to adopt and adapt ideas, that others have found useful and productive, in and for our own particular situations. We may be able to offer each other our own suggestions, or references to those offered by others, with which we have felt comfortable.

The initial reference, that I am posting, is to the YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZlceOZeryY

entitled: "13 Ingredient Swaps to Make NOW That Saved My Life"

Melissa K Norris: “Yes .…...... I always say, homesteading is a state of mind, and for people who are moving into the homesteading lifestyle and even those of us who have been in it for a while, we all do have pretty much the same goals of being able to raise our own food, to provide clean, good food for our families, to be more self-sufficient in all of the ways that we're able to. And so when we all have that common goal, we actually all come about it differently in a lot of aspects because we're in obviously different geological or geographic locations, we have different climates, there's different acreages, there's suburban, there's apartment homesteaders, there's large rural, all of that. And though we all have this common goal, we've all figured out because we're at different points in our life and all those circumstances that people will come at it at different angles.”

Some of the links to her videos are included here:

I do hope that we can put some interesting material, here in this thread, that will be helpful in our journey, and that of others, toward the ever developing goal of improved health and consequent enjoyment of the lives that we live.

With Best Wishes

@HenryX 

77 REPLIES 77

Re: Food and Drink Choices for Improved Physical and Psychological Health. {Please keep on Topic}.

Great thread  @HenryX 😃👍

Re: Food and Drink Choices for Improved Physical and Psychological Health. {Please keep on Topic}.

Fats, Flours and Sugar

A smart way to start.

Great Idea @HenryX 

I am still not rich enough to buy everything organic.

Moved the white flour and sugar out of diet for family 30 years ago.  

Moved towards veggie for daughter and towards keto for son.  Not a lot baking, but might watch her sour dough starter

Thanks

Apple

Great thread @HenryX 

I'll keep popping in for others' content, but not sure I can stand too much of Melissa

Evening all

I avoid sugar like its poison. It's hard. But I find that as I weened away from it (due to it being in everything) I have actually needed it less.

Salt is also a baddie.

sometimes I find it incredibly helpful to eat a full breakfast (usually muesli with yoghurt and toast with baked beans) as it will get me through the first part of the day. then a light lunch

Other times it doesn't do anything for me

I would say carbs and protein have helped my mental health - so long as I am using them

Re: Food and Beverage Choices for Improved Physical and Psychological Health. {Please keep on Topic}.

Hi  @Appleblossom@StuF , @Flying_Hams  

…....... “ ….......

@Appleblossom , More recently, I have bitten the bullet and removed nearly all starches and sugars from my diet. This is an interim measure to achieve a desired goal. I have posted about my recent success with this approach. I have also become aware of a noticeable and significant improvement in physical feeling and work capacity {recovery and further development to continue} and also my mental wellness. When I have achieved my goal, I will gradually reintroduce starches in measured quantities, but will continue to avoid sugars and also other artificial sweeteners.

Looking at references to sour-dough bread, it appears that a longer proofing time goes some way to improving the digestibility of bread made in this way and possibly also, the availability of nutrients.

…....... “ ….......

“ 

@StuF , I understand your sentiment re presentation. Notice that I had a soft reference to that issue in my intro: "I find that I have to take Melissa in short bursts, because she packs a lot of information into her presentations." Imagine being the camera operator!!!

Also, this is definitely just a starting point and I very much hope that there will be a lot more Australian based content as we progress. Mind you, there are also some Aussie presenters, of material that I generally enjoy, that I find more difficult to listen to than Melissa Norris. I hope, for the most part, that as long as presentation is not objectionable, content will be the winning element.

…....... “ ….......

“ 

@Flying_Hams , Like you, I put sugar into the category of 'poison'. I suffer type 2 diabetes. My aim is to diminish or remove diabetes as a health issue for myself.

Often, I look along a shop aisle and reflect on the amount of sugars, of various types, contained in the products in the aisle. It is actually scary to consider the health implications. Cereals are among the highest contributors to the sugar intake, but fruit yoghurts, canned tomatoes and baked beans, are also often loaded with sugar, as are most so called "low-fat" products. It is worth checking everything for the %age sugar content. I enjoy home cooked beans and lentils, in the form of Dahl.

You can find a recipe for dahl here: https://biancazapatka.com/en/red-lentil-dahl/

There is great emphasis on "fresh is best". In my situation though, whereas I used to think that fresh fruit was beneficial, even having two pieces of fruit per day has taken me into the higher blood sugar readings. Canned fruit is out of the range altogether. I have become very much more aware of the health implications of the foods that I may choose to eat.

Unfortunately, the words "comfort food" cover, with a pleasant sounding name, the issue of responding to low mood and depression by acquiring, accepting and consuming types of food and drink that might appear to meet an immediate need but can have significantly adverse effects along the way. I know, from personal experience, that the issue begins in the shop with what is placed into the trolley or basket.

With Best Wishes

@HenryX 

@HenryX 

I'll reply properly tomorrow. Ready for bed here, but wanted to acknowledge your message 🙂

I find that I refined my version of comfort food @HenryX
Usually things like vanilla flavoured yoghurt, ice cream on a stick, Ferrero rocher. Small things usually if they high sugar or heaps of something healthy I like. I find it's best to measure proportion with things that are unhealthy but indulge in things which are healthy but I can have heaps of

I feel like I don't know enough about food to make a very worthwhile post here.

I try to keep a veggie mix in the freezer at all times to add fibre and vitamins to my meals.
I'm learning to know when some foods are in season.
If I have dessert, it's plain yogurt (for the probiotics) with some stewed fruit.

Hello @Flying_Hams , @HenryX 

I have diabetes 2 and curing back on refined sugars 

And Carbs you need to cut back on  too 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance